• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Jimmy's Electric Adventures

J1000

Rising Sun Member
Wow! That's wild that folks are getting those numbers out of leaf motors! You're making me a Leaf convert :)

I've been trying to find the right forums to read up on all of this stuff. It seems everything is super fragmented. Are there one or two you really pay attention to, @J1000 ?
Yeah super fragmented is a good way to describe it. Diyelectriccar.com is where I've been hanging out but it's full of spam bots and lots and lots of junk posts to sift through.

Endless-sphere.com is also a good site but mostly focused on e-bikes and other small vehicles.

Last edited:

J1000

Rising Sun Member
No mechanical updates to share, but I did do some computery stuff lately.

Modeled some 3D printed wheel center caps for my Electrek to replace the VW caps.

c0P9mOz.jpg

QXA8hqg.jpg

OxHVSP3.png

Got my motor adapter plates machined for the EVJ80! I had 5 machined so I have 4 extras to sell.

Mwqziiy.jpg

KaJQGdD.jpg

UOd1UZH.jpg

Last edited:

Heckraiser

This is so cool, thanks for sharing!

I've been DD'ing an electric vehicle of some sort since 2015 and I've always thought it would kick ass in an offroad vehicle. Glad to see it being done locally. This is something I would absolutely do if I had more free time :eek: How much for an adapter plate?

J1000

Rising Sun Member
I'm selling the extra adapter plates for $500 + shipping. Just sold one to a guy in WA who is making an electric boat "daily driver" to drive between his island home and island work location. Must be tough!

60wag

Rising Sun Member
Have you gotten into the battery yet?

J1000

Rising Sun Member
Yes, we did. It was pretty easy to crack into. Haven't taken any of the cells out yet. Been working on getting the suspension back on the Electrek so I can move it to the other side of the shop. Unfortunately, I ran into a problem doing that and need someone with a Mk1 parts stash. I have "internal" threaded strut mounts and I need "external" threaded ones for the Bilstein shocks that I bought. I didn't realize there was a difference of course and now it's too late to return them. Also there are no Bilsteins for the internal threaded shocks so I just need to get the right ones. Does anyone have any Mk1 VW friends? I searched all of Craigslist and ebay and the usual places with no luck.

kOrnDli.jpg

@60wag the LEAF battery opened up really easily and looks like it's going to be fun to take apart. Even maintaining all the stock wiring it looks like the cells can be packaged in all sorts of ways.

hiGLuAX.jpg

v3rSLVD.jpg

gLSfoXr.jpg

And back to the Electrek I've been putting it back together and I bought all new hardware for the stuff that's going to be visible. Cleaning and painting everything as it goes back in.

LffqVgi.jpg

9nUp8uc.jpg

KDUihW3.jpg

J1000

Rising Sun Member
Crisis averted I was able to modify what I had and I drilled out and welded on the threaded section so that it functionally worked like an external-threaded strut. Filled the lower strut mounts with ATF as that's what the MK1 guys say to do to transfer heat from the shocks to the body and make them last longer.

Turned all of this:

8yKynoT.png

Into this:

Ht4cHxS.png

Glw8iTH.png

Unfortunately, I didn't get the wheels on like was my goal. Still waiting on brake parts for the front. Also can not get a pair of boots for the steering rack to save my life, they keep sending me parts for the power rack! The car now has fully polyurethane bushings through all of the suspension and new shocks and repacked wheel bearings all 4 corners, arms and knuckles painted and new brake lines.

I did run into a snag on my 1988 Toyota Pickup. I had Groove Toyota make me a new key based on the lock code. The parts guy said "that'll be 345." With Toyotas these days I wasn't sure if he mean $345 or $3.45. Luckily it was the latter! The key opens the doors perfectly! Awesome! Yeah until I tried the ignition and the ignition cylinder is all jacked up like someone put a screwdriver in there to try and force it. Needless to say it doesn't work. Toyota gurus, what is the best way to go about fixing the ignition cylinder? And don't I need the key to remove it in the first place?

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
I used a drill on my 93 4runner to remove the ignition cylinder. It was a PIA but I got it done, then did a freedom loop from ohio to Cali, Texas back to Ohio. Got pulled over 3 times and they never noticed the flathead sticking out of the dash!

J1000

Rising Sun Member
Does anyone have the ability to mill out part of my Electrek's new motor? I have a brand new in box motor but it needs to be milled to clear the axle. I was just going to go at it with an angle grinder but it'd be nice to do it right. Here are some photos showing the cylindrical cut that needs to be made into the motor case.

The catch is that the whole motor is 200lbs.

qMG7DPW.jpg

4FKlbXA.jpg

J1000

Rising Sun Member
Thanks! I'm really blown away by all the positive support from the forum on my quirky projects. No one has said it is blasphemy to convert an LC to electric either!

I got my Electrek back on it's wheels again all on 100% refreshed suspension. It might actually handle like a little VW GTI when it's all done! A 30hp GTI but nonetheless!

New priority list:
1. Pull 80 motor and transmission (Saturday 6/12?! @MonPetiteShoe)
2. Dissemble LEAF battery pack (@60wag any interest?)
3. Machine/Grind Electrek motor

7BpF2gK.jpg

A0IxRjG.jpg

Hey hey, ho ho, this 80 motor has got to go!

2kYZlMr.jpg

zX5oV2p.jpg

MonPetiteShoe

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
We gon drop that FZJ like it's hot, or we're going to grossly overestimate the task at hand and go home pissed and grungy. Either way, I'm in.

J1000

Rising Sun Member
Reminder we're going to pull the engine and trans from my 80 on Saturday if anyone wants to join. I'll supply pizza and beer. Dom and Josh want to work on their 80s too, so there will be plenty to do! I also need to drain and pull the fuel tank and pull the exhaust and maybe fuel lines and other stuff depending.

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
I love the OEM Chevy Monza taillights on the Electrek. Very 80s.

J1000

Rising Sun Member
The windshield is also from a Monza and the rear hatch glass is also from some obscure domestic 80s hatch I can't remember which one though. Funny thing about this car is that it's the first American made vehicle I've ever owned!

IoN6

Rising Sun Member
Does anyone have the ability to mill out part of my Electrek's new motor? I have a brand new in box motor but it needs to be milled to clear the axle. I was just going to go at it with an angle grinder but it'd be nice to do it right. Here are some photos showing the cylindrical cut that needs to be made into the motor case.

The catch is that the whole motor is 200lbs.

What are the dimensions of the motor, and can you post some other pics of it to get an idea of how to hold it?