Jimmy's Electric Adventures

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Nice job Jimmy. I subscribed!

My only comment is that it is a little dry and monotone. It would probably help to add some content about how you feel about it, what you think, what you love and hate about the project. This tends to make the me feel more involved and invested in the outcome. If you make mistakes or have problems make it part of the content. Makes you more relatable. I find myself watching YouTube content about things I don't really care about just to see how people react to the shit going down around them.

That's entertainment. :)

bassguyry

Commander + Cruise Moab Chairman
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I have been filming a lot of my work and have been putting together a little YouTube show. My first episode went live today. Please check it out! I'm also looking for any critiques this is my first real try at making a show. Please subscribe if you want to see more of these! @OHUZJ100 has been helping me out with the videos also which has been huge!

This is awesome, man! I've subscribed!

I'm a pretty visual guy, and I really enjoyed all of the graphics and on-screen text early on in the video (my favorite was the high-speed "here's a little info about Jimmy" section - that was hilarious), but they seem to disappear after 4-5 minutes. I'd keep those going throughout the video, because I think it helps capture the viewer's attention.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to future episodes! :headbang:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I couldn't turn it off, Jimmy. great stuff! really impressed with what you've learned here.

J1000

Rising Sun Member
Thanks for all the comments guys! This should be a fun series and I have plenty of work to do to feed content! @DanielChase hooked me up with a machinist who should be able to make the clearance cuts on my motor case for me hopefully this week or next! Then we can put the motor in and drive! Well, it will be closer at least.

Another Electrek buddy Chase and I met through this journey just had his car featured on Aging Wheels which I guess is a CO based youtube reviewer guy? Anyway I noticed after his video went live that mine started getting more traffic. Pretty cool!

J1000

Rising Sun Member
If anyone is interested in coming to an EV car show the Denver Electric Vehicle Council (DEVC) will be putting on a BBQ and car show in Rollinsville on August 21st. It will be held at ElectroMod garage which is an EV conversion company out of Rollinsville and they are currently convering a Land Rover of some sort which should be cool to check out.

I am planning on trailering my Electrek to show off my progress so far and possibly do a presentation and Q&A session.

All are cordially invited to a potluck BBQ/car show event co-sponsored by the Denver Electric Vehicle Council and ElectroMod Garage conversion and auto repair shop, located at 275 Tolland Rd Unit A, Rollinsville, CO 80474 on
Saturday, August 21 from noon until 4pm. Hamburgers, hot dogs, veggie burgers, and soda/water will be provided. Attendees are asked to bring a pot luck dish to share. There will also be a car show so bring your EV…especially any conversion project!
The event will also be a fundraiser for Youth Education Outreach/EV Club. A showroom-quality eGo Scooter will be raffled off at $10 per ticket (purchased at the BBQ, cash or checks only). In addition, there will be Q and A educational sessions that will showcase the current ElectroMod conversion project, a scooter conversion project, and a session to update members on DEVC youth education outreach.
Please RSVP by August 10th to Dave Pence, Youth Education Outreach Coordinator at *protected email*.

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
If anyone is interested in coming to an EV car show the Denver Electric Vehicle Council (DEVC) will be putting on a BBQ and car show in Rollinsville on August 21st. It will be held at ElectroMod garage which is an EV conversion company out of Rollinsville and they are currently convering a Land Rover of some sort which should be cool to check out.

I am planning on trailering my Electrek to show off my progress so far and possibly do a presentation and Q&A session.

Sounds interesting. I may be down to hit that up.

J1000

Rising Sun Member
I hope you can make it! I am bringing my dad along also.

I talked to the organizer and he wants me to do a small presentation from 3:30-4:00 pm so I will be talking about the Electrek and my work on it and doing Q&A etc.

I also met with the machinist today so if all goes to plan I will get my motor machined next week so I will be able to then install it on the transmission and into the car!!! If that happens then maybe it will be able to drive on August 21st!

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
@J1000

That Aging Wheels guy did an episode on the CitiCar (70s EV) that was really hilarious. He’s got a good channel going - cool to see an Elektrek on there. Maybe there’s a collaboration in the future?

J1000

Rising Sun Member
I saw that one too. The Citicar was actually pretty popular with several thousand sold. I have seen a lot pop up for sale. They are a 48 volt system which basically makes them a glorified golf car that does maybe 45mph maximum. The cool thing about the Electrek is that it could do normal car stuff like drive on the freeway and hold 4 adults. They even engineered some specific features to help with crash safety. Check out this old crash test footage:

J1000

Rising Sun Member
Some massive updates here with the electric projects.

Really have to give huge thanks and props to @MonPetiteShoe (Josh) for really helping me over and over with the EVJ80 project from the start. With his help we rebuilt the front axle of my Cruiser with a new Birf from Cruiser Teq and all new seals. Also big thanks to @Stuckinthe80s (Nick) for the guidance and help along the way.

Qi5abGI.jpg

suTMoGr.jpg

80 series PTSD is real.

4w2bfAr.jpg

5IIaOVD.jpg

The DS axle housing was munched from PO abuse and took lots of patience and a dremel to get the seal installed but we got it done!

eICWxgE.jpg

All new brakes just in case something goes wrong!

There was no fluid that came out of the diff :eek: just this gunk!

x6E7YWY.jpg

My BlackBox-C doubler came and we got it installed! Really cool piece of hardware, I think it will definitely do what I need it to do.

qSXdFQp.jpg

JEejwdz.jpg

Had to split open the t-case:

r03W2Ff.jpg

Install the new input shaft;

KXNclf9.jpg

rnvnItq.jpg

Now it's an outtie instead of an innie.

sMPzJvn.jpg

Now to start the fabrication of mounts to hold the t-case independently.

3mXd4Fd.jpg

Huge thanks to @DanielChase (Chase) for hooking me up with a machinist who was able to get my Electrek motor machined to clearance the CV axle shafts. This coming week I will install the clutch and transmission and mount the new motor into my brown Electrek!

Compare the work Marco my new machinist friend did with the original UM work from 1979!

qEhbioK.jpg

Zr7ynKU.jpg

The RS community is really coming together to help me get these projects going I am so grateful for everyone's help! There is still lots to do if anyone out there wants to pitch in in some way, shape, or form! We still haven't even touched the silver pickup!

FARLSXB.jpg

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Very exciting update!! Keep it up Jimmy!

J1000

Rising Sun Member
Alright been away on vacation but gearing up to hit these projects hard over the next few weeks. Will be at the shop every day so let me know if you want to help with something.

Top 3 next tasks:
1. Finalize transfer case mount and install in land cruiser
2. Mount Electrek motor clutch and trans and install
3. Dissemble leaf battery and install with BMS in Electrek

Last edited:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Nice progress! On the 80, that lower trunion bearing race looks kinda messed up, did you swap that? It's not like those need to spin fast so it's probably fine if not.

J1000

Rising Sun Member
Yes, I bought the Cruiser Teq kit and it included new trunion bearings and races so I installed those as well. Also used quality synthetic grease. Gotta keep all rotating friction to an absolute minimum for those EV miles!!

New episode up tonight! Be in the shop all day tomorrow come on down!

J1000

Rising Sun Member
My hair-brained plan is starting to come together! I got pretty far on my t-case mount now. I used a big hunk of 90 degree steel extrusion from the scrap yard and welded a bit extra on top to make up the full circle. I tried my best to keep it from warping but it did a little bit, nothing that's going to cause issues though.

Sk6p6v9.jpg

ZWVOi4S.jpg

24DgI96.jpg

Big thanks to @DomOfTheDead for letting me use his plasma cutter to rough out the hole and edges! He also did me a solid by crawling under his truck and taking some good photos of the t-case so I can know how exactly to mount it to the crossbrace. (Of course I didn't take measurements before we ripped the engine out)

h7LiSQW.jpg

35TSjkU.jpg

I really cannot believe I haven't owned a welder until the last 6 months. I feel like I can build anything now! Should have bought one years ago.

mfbjNKN.jpg

g1awC0a.jpg

oDkyDZ3.jpg

Now I'm at a point where I can test fit it into the chassis and make sure everything fits right then do the final welding. I also will build a rear t-case brace after that. Then on to the motor!

J1000

Rising Sun Member
Got some more done on the t-case mount. I think as long as it test-fits ok then I am happy with it. I may add some skid plates on to it later. As it is it's fricken super heavy and I cannot install it myself anymore that's for sure.

First I cut off the factory rubber damper, cleaned up the bracket, and drilled a couple holes so a OEM 1FZ motor mount can bolt on.

9R9XBuf.jpg

KHnmqqa.jpg

I found some box section and some 1" tubing and started placing them.

0szIn9e.jpg

Tacked them into place for now. Will box everything in once I know it fits right. And paint of course.

Ak7qhZq.jpg

WBzeuIA.jpg

f7Y4eFW.jpg

Now it will support the t-case without the mounts sagging. The t-case is rubber isolated and bolt-on.

Should I try to add a little more curve to the tubing and notch it so that is sits a little more flush with the crossmember? Any fabricator types have words of wisdom or tips?