jenny creek kiosk *STATUS*

Beater

Hard Core 4+
STATUS + DONE!

seriously. it is done.
We have changed plans on putting it up though. We will need to put it together, then put it up, brace it, sleep, and confirm.

SO, we will need to have someone bring a ready welder, or a torch set up. We will hammer in posts, then weld angle to hold it square in the concrete. I can see no way around it.

Here is a picture of the roof:

Attachments

• Photo_071407_002.jpg
    Photo_071407_002.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 236

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Just got home about an hour ago.

The Rising Sun logo looks sooo cool. I kind of wish there was a way to mount it vertical like that.

We worked a couple of extra hours and were a body or two short, but John, Mike, Matt, Charlie and I got it done and I think it's going to look great on the trail and outlast us all.

:thumb: :beer:

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Kudos to the four of you!! Looks awesome and would have much rather been there than home on garage sale duty :(

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
We had a good group on Saturday morning. John is an excellent teacher and he has a great metal shop. Loved the band saw! And crap, the dude can weld.

We did a lot of measuring parts, cutting steel, grinding bevels, prepping for welding with wire wheels, and lifting very large, very heavy parts in and out of the garage. Many hands definitely sped up the process by hours. It would have been tedious work if John had done this by himself, but the work is fast and fun when you're doing it with a group of friends. And the parts are HEAVY -- just moving any single part was a two-man job.

A big thanks to John and his wife Lori for treating my little boy so well. He loved the back yard swing and made a new friend with their black dog, Skyler. He also learned to cover his eyes when John would holler "Clear" before beginning a weld.

It was especially fun being involved in the creation of the rising sun roof. Martin, Mike and I all got to be assistants to the artist, which was cool. Martin and I had gotten all mathematical in our planning of John's idea, but John demonstrated that making it up as you go along often produces better results.

The kiosk is going to be very large and very bulletproof. People are going to be blown away by this thing.

The crew:

John Henley
Mike Worth
Martin Huber
Matt & Charlie Farr

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Pics, please? :rolleyes:

Beater

Hard Core 4+
pics aren't really feasible right now, unless you are going to come help me put the thing back together... the way it is made, the roof won't fit until it's in the air.

Basically, we have a big arse erector set here, with only 5 pieces. There are 3 posts and two display panels with vertical receivers for hidden collars with integrated clamps. The roof then slides on once the posts and display panels are up. There is a "picture frame" on the front of the display panel that holds the plywood and lexan for the informational postings.

It is impossible to stand this thing up without 3 large holes to set it in. FYI, there is less than 5 mils margin of error in something over 3 meters long. :eek:

j

Last edited:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
You guys absolutely positively incredibly rock.

I think you get multiyear cowbell credits out of this one!

Tch2fly

Rising Sun Member
No pics but here are a couple crude drawings of what it should look like. First the sign without the top attached then assembled.

Attachments

• kiosk1.jpg
    kiosk1.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 190
  • kiosk2.jpg
    kiosk2.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 202

Beater

Hard Core 4+
awesome --- we have a cad whore!!!!

BIll, please forward those images to brian, those are spot on, except for the picture frames on the front.

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
awesome --- we have a cad whore!!!!

BIll, please forward those images to brian, those are spot on, except for the picture frames on the front.
I sent him the link to this thread already, so we're covered. Thanks!

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Cool! but I'm a little hurt you didn't need a scaled down solid model.. :rolleyes: let's see those CAD files.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Cool! but I'm a little hurt you didn't need a scaled down solid model.. :rolleyes: let's see those CAD files.

:D - How much for a mini-Kiosk model? Maybe as an incentive to work on the Kiosk raising work day we could persuade Tim "the Toolman" to create some for those that work on it? :thumb: