• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

iPhone / Android mobile app for forum

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
At some point, it would be really nice to have a true mobile app for our forum. I received a notice this morning that vBulletin has released a mobile app for forums. Cost is $199.

Woody has done something different for the ih8mud app. He implemented an off-the-shelf, third party product, available here:
http://www.forumrunner.net/
In this case, the software is free to install on our server, but then cost $1.99 for each user.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I'm good with either. A thought in favor of Forum Runner is that since Mud is already using it having two differant apps for two differant forums seems silly. maybe comunication with Woody would be a good idea and see if he's considering the V-Bulletin app....

Is the $199 a one time cost?

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
maybe comunication with Woody would be a good idea and see if he's considering the V-Bulletin app....

That's a good thought -- I'll ping Woody. How do you like the Forum Runner app? I haven't used it yet. (I also don't think I paid $1.99 for it -- did you?)

Is the $199 a one time cost?

I believe that is correct. However, RS is running an older version of vBulletin, version 3.7.1 which might not work with the new smart phone app. If that's the case, there would be additional cost to upgrade our forum software as well. Woody is still running an older version too, 3.8.4, but his is newer than ours.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
I would be up for either. Woody had me download his for my Android and it works great. I would pay $1.99 or vote for a server version/upgrade.

admin

Forum Administrator
I installed Forum Runner.

The cost to install Forum Runner is $1.99 on your device through the iTunes app store.

Once you download and install it's under "Cars / Trucks" Then "Toyota" and Rising Sun was on the 2nd page.

Enjoy!

wesintl

RS Moderator
Cool, thanks guys!!

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
This is pretty slick. I just paid my $1.99 and I am posting this reply from my iPhone 4.

wesintl

RS Moderator
This forum now supports Android and the iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad natively with Forum Runner!

What is Forum Runner?

Forum Runner is an Android/iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad App that allows you to browse this forum using a native client. This means faster access for those users since it only downloads the actual forum information rather than all the extraneous images that slow down the mobile connection.

Forum Runner Feature List

• Browse your favorite forums in an easy-to-use-interface with multiple notification types (private message, subscription, etc)
  • Fully customizable home screen with your favorite forums
  • PUSH NOTIFICATION SUPPORT : Get private message and subscribed thread updates from your favorite forums in the background!
  • Poll updates (private messages/subscriptions) from favorites on home screen - shows you a summary of which forums you have new messages or subscriptions on!
  • Image attachment thumbnail and full size viewing from threads
  • View a thread's image attachments in one convenient screen (much like the native iPhone "Photo" app)
  • Save thread images to your iPhone/iPod touch library
  • Fully search-able forums!
  • View embedded links without leaving the app, including YouTube videos
  • Supports portrait AND landscape mode
  • Full posting options (quote posts, start new thread, etc)
  • Attach unlimited photos from your library (or take a photo from the camera and attach it)
  • Full support for private messages and private message folders
  • Full support for thread subscriptions - track your favorite threads and be updated via push when they have new posts!

Some screen shots of Forum Runner running on various devices:

iPhone: Home Screen with customizable icons and notifications:

home.png

Push notification updates while outside the app:

push.png
push.png

Image attachment browser from a thread:

photoviewer.png
photoviewer.png

Fully searchable forums:

search.png
search.png

Full forum browsing:

browse.png
browse.png

How can I get the Forum Runner iPhone Client?

Either search "Forum Runner" in the App Store on your iPhone, or click one of the links below:

Get Forum Runner Full Version from App Store

Get Forum Runner Free Version from App Store

How can I get the Forum Runner Android Client?

Either search "Forum Runner" in the Google Market on your Android device, or click one of the links below:

Get Forum Runner Full Version from Google Market

Get Forum Runner Free Version from Google Market

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
This makes it much easier to read the forum on my phone. Thanks!

wesintl

RS Moderator
apple is killin it...

iPhone Hits: 30
Android Hits: 3

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I like the web browser on my Droid.... no charge. Same interface I'm used to. I'm just me but... That may be why?

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Is there a way to not get the notification everytime we login from our phones? I don't like the app forum views. I just want the regular browser.

Thanks!

wesintl

RS Moderator
what notification? Safari is the same

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Is there a way to not get the notification everytime we login from our phones? I don't like the app forum views. I just want the regular browser.

Thanks!
Agreed!

wesintl

RS Moderator
you get the same message when you log out on a pc or mac or you laptop. afaict it's not phone specific. why do you even logout? just check the auto login when you open the browser or whatever :meh:

wesintl

RS Moderator
Matt created a new icon that looks much better. Thanks Matt!