• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Intro to snow wheeling. February 5th

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Here's a cool opportunity to learn something new, talk about equipment, technique, even flex your own snow wheeling knowledge. I've signed up to facilitate a little training session, intended to help folks who may be new or unfamililar with snow wheeling get a little more confidence and experience with how to get out there safely and back home with a smile on your face. If that sounds like something you'd like to participate in, then join me at

9:30 am, February 5th. Location is the OHV parking lot behind Central City.

39°48'43.8"N 105°32'24.1"W​

39.812161, -105.540024​

Topics will include but are not limited to tires & tire pressure, basic vehicle equipment, recovery gear, vehicle dynamics and line selection. Like most training topics, it's impossible to be 100% comprehensive, rather the intent here is that everyone leaves with a more info than they had before they got there, an action list of what to do next, and like most things in life you tend to get out of it what you want to put into it. So come caffinated, ready to engage in some cool dialog. This is open to anyone, and any stock 4x4 vehicle.

Some of you may have figured out by now that this is at the exact same day as the official snow run already scheduled for that day. https://risingsun4x4club.org/xf/threads/snow-run-sat-feb-5th-2022.31966/ and you are correct! This session will begin after the main group, led by @JadeRunner , pulls out of the parking lot. And you can self-select at that time... either head out with the first group, or hang back and join the discussion. At some point, we'll all bump into each other, either on the trail or at Beau Jo's.
IMG_2826.jpg

Burt88

Trail Ready
I'm interested. My snow wheeling skills could use some upgrades.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I’ll most likely stick around for a min.
I can always benefit from more knowledge.

ChewBaca

Rising Sun Member
I'm in, but let me check with my events coordinator as she may already have me scheduled to do other things that day.

krispykritter

Rock Stacker
Also likely to hang back with this group and absorb some knowledge! Thank you.

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
This is a great idea Tim thanks for setting it up.

That first big hill about 2 miles in before York Gulch rd. caused lots of issue in the back of the group. So lots of patience and training could be had there as well.

gr8fulabe

Rising Sun Member
Do we need to have recovery points for the intro run? I'm not sure if the GX460 has them, but Erica would be vastly more interested if she could be extra comfy on the trail.
Thanks,
Abe

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Do we need to have recovery points for the intro run? I'm not sure if the GX460 has them, but Erica would be vastly more interested if she could be extra comfy on the trail.
Thanks,
Abe
Bring the GX, it'll be fine. If it's super icy/snowy then maybe don't take it up the trail, but no reason to hesitate to at least come join the discussion. we're still a ways away anyway, so no use worrying about the weather or road conditions at this point, we'll make better decisions day of, and from the parking lot.

OHUZJ100

I would like to join this run. Never snow wheeled so this should be fun🤘

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
If you have a trailer hitch you have a rear recovery point. GX460 should have one. Get a Factor 55 Hitchlink 2.0 or rated equivalent receiver insert.
But if you are buried nose-deep in snow, the front bumper may stay buried if you get pulled out backwards! :oops:

Sean Solo

Rising Sun Member
Count me in too Tim. Always up for more training since I seem not to get out much to practice what I learn...then forget.

DanS

Rising Sun Member
Nancy (@SaintAgatha ) and I are in, with the GX. Nancy will drive the whole thing. And she can even tell you about sliding backwards down a steep hill towards a cliff in the snow! And how important it is to not mash the brake pedal through the floor the whole way down. ;)

Dan

chaos

Rising Sun Member
I would love to join if there is still room.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Great to have you, David!

Eyepain

Rising Sun Member
Noob here... While I've played in snow, it's been unfocused. Looking forward to learning and getting to meet some like minded folk. See you there.

tshalv

Brand New
Count me in too — thanks for putting this on. Psyched to meet you all!