• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Found Intake and exhaust manifolds late F

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I Pulled my manifolds off my '69 FJ40 to fix what i thought was a leaking manifold gasket. Once off i found the exhaust manifold is warped, the heat riser flap is seized and the bolt holes securing the 2 together are stripped in the intake. I also snapped one of the downpipe studs off.

Hoping someone has some decent units i can bolt in. Intake I might be able to helicoil, so exhaust manifold is most needed. Might consider a header as well.

thanks!

Last edited:

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
If anyone is going to the swap meet, keep an eye open. Finders fee if you can grab a set for me!

Wish I could be there today

720 876 7498 call or text thanks!

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
So this is a 6 stud wide runner intake. I believe the narrow runner version will also work. My head is the later 60032 which will accept either the 6 stud or 8 stud, so there are several versions that fit as long as they are a set.

i-pdkhmpf-L.jpg

i-zjP3bbZ-L.jpg

i-JtrQ5NL-L.jpg

A few people have suggested that this isn't warped bad enough to warrant replacing and I should just get the studs and bolts repaired, delete the heat riser flap,, deck it and then put it on loosely bolted together and then tighten it up.

Thoughts?

i-XS5wqxk-L.jpg

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Martin, I checked my parts pile and have several period-correct intakes you are welcome to, free. Unfortunately all my exhausts are later FJ60 era. I noticed that you have the "rare high performance" 1969 intake, which is what I am running on my 1971. At least Mark Whatley used to refer to them as high performance. Anyway, I stripped the threads on the intake that go between the intake and exhaust but was able to successfully drill, tap and helicoil them and they are still going strong 20 years later.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Hi Jeff, thanks for the offer and tips! I think I will try to helicoil them.

wesintl

RS Moderator
A few people have suggested that this isn't warped bad enough to warrant replacing and I should just get the studs and bolts repaired, delete the heat riser flap,, deck it and then put it on loosely bolted together and then tighten it up.

Thoughts?
same

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I dropped it off at the machine shop to see if he has any luck with all the broken and stripped bolts and threads. He was going to try to free up the heat riser as well. We'll see.

In the meantime, wngrog on mud found a set in his tear off pile (so not everything goes in the dumpster, thankfully). Those are on the way, so hopefully I can mix and match and make something work. 🤞