Influencing the young

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
Thought I posted this the other night, but it's not turning up...

My friend brian has been a die-hard jeep guy his whole life, but his daughter apparently got the brains in the family because I got this text the other night
1000020822.jpg

Im going to claim to be the driving influence because Erin has been around me for a decade plus ;)

Any suggestions on years and what to look for. I found one thread where someone said 3rd gen runners, but what else should he be looking at?

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
GX470s are nice with a V8 and better offroad than a 3rd gen 4runner. Rachel had both and still drives the GX.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Depends on budget and driver. You can't really go totally wrong with any of them. Some are more desirable, like 1999 or older 4Runners with stick shift and locker. No doubt a GX (or even V8 4Runner) would be super nice if the budget allows. The unicorn I wanted to find some day is a 08-14 regular cab, 2TR-FE, 5 speed stick (R151F), crank windows. They don't go for a lot of money but they go quick. Well sell quick not so much "go" quick. But they're light and the 2TR makes OK power...

Normal stuff, check HG on most anything you're considering. Ball joints on all but especially on 96-02 4Runner or 95-04 Tacoma (only use Toyota or OEM Sankei/555 on 3rd gen 4Runner or 1st gen Taco).

The main thing IMO to check on older 4Runner or Hilux/Pickup/Tacoma is frame rust. A few higher vulnerablity spots. The rail in front of the fixed leaf spring eye or rear trailing arm mount is pretty universal. On 03+ 4Runner and 05+ Tacoma the inside next to the catalytic converter rusts fastest and the driver side was usually rusted through on Tacoma frames replaced under recall.

It's fixable, though.

Last edited:

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
The unicorn I wanted to find some day is a 08-14 regular cab, 2TR-FE, 5 speed stick (R151F), crank windows. They don't go for a lot of money but they go quick. Well sell quick not so much "go" quick. But they're light and the 2TR makes OK power...
I've been looking for one of these off and on too. I saw one yesterday with 115k for $8500 when I decided I would reach out a few hours later it was sold. I tried to buy another a few weeks ago with 57k for $15k, that guy had it sold when he contacted me for his 15k asking but was fishing to see if I would offer more. They pop up and you just need to be ready to buy on the spot I guess.