• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Inflatable roof top tents and campers anyone?

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
Gentle Tent? Erected in a flash by only one person?

I'm a child.

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
"Are you full of hot air and looking for somewhere to put it?

We are the overlanding gear brand for you! For as little as 36 payments of $150 you too can have a tent on your car"

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Dometic has a awning type of thing that does that they are trying to sell this year.

bassguyry

Commander + Cruise Moab Chairman
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Cool idea, but the only thing that would make me move away from my soft-shell RTT would be a quicker disassembly/tear down time, not the amount of time it takes to assemble/set up. Interesting how they don't talk about how long it takes to tear down their tents; they only talk about how easy they are to set up - even the FAQ on "how to assemble/disassemble" question, they only give instructions on how to assemble the tent - disassembly isn't addressed. I love my inflatable kayaks and paddleboards...until I have to deflate and pack them up.

This is where the hard shell tents have the edge, IMO - they're easy to set up and easy to tear down (relative to a soft-shell tent). That's the only way you'll get me to ditch my current RTT and pay top dollar for another one.

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
My fear would be a leak in the middle of the night during a windy storm.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Dometic has a awning type of thing that does that they are trying to sell this year.

I have the Dometic Tailgater AIR for demo. Like anything, there is a market for whom it makes sense. Maybe I'll bring it o CM to mess around with at basecamp.

The biggest drawback I see in the Gentle tent and experience in the Dometic I have (many type available) is that they still need guy lines. The Tailgater setup is not faster than a conventional type of tent.. The Dometic has three air tubes you need to inflate. I like the Gentle Tent one-air chamber design.

The Dometic I have is designed to fit around the back of an SUV and as a result does not seal tight for bugs and critters. I killed a mouse in my tent one night on the San Rafael Swell! If it was just for weather protect ion while using the tailgate and/or hanging out and you sleep elsewhere, I can see it being very functional. Also have to remember that we live in a dry climate and can do most camp activity outside.

1617815057595.png

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
The tubes are encased in a tough cordura. Minimal risk

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
The worse the weather the more times I have to take a leak in the middle of the night as it is, not sure if physics or Murphy's laws at work there.

I actually had the idea for an inflatable tent as a teen but it seemed like it would be too heavy and frail to outperform properly engineered poles, I have not changed my instincts on this idea.

60wag

Rising Sun Member
Especially in a cacti filled desert.

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
Wind is my biggest concern with a RTT. My softshell is pretty resilient, but gets pretty noisy in strong wind. I haven't had the hard shell in the wind yet, but supposedly angling the clam shell into the wind can make a big difference.

@bassguyry I strongly prefer the setup and takedown of my hardshell. Super easy (1-2 minutes) solo which is key for me when its just me and the kid(s).

krice118

Trail Ready
a hardshelll RTT is very close in price- money better spent IMO.

bassguyry

Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Wind is my biggest concern with a RTT. My softshell is pretty resilient, but gets pretty noisy in strong wind. I haven't had the hard shell in the wind yet, but supposedly angling the clam shell into the wind can make a big difference.

@bassguyry I strongly prefer the setup and takedown of my hardshell. Super easy (1-2 minutes) solo which is key for me when its just me and the kid(s).
I camped at Loch Lomond last year, right below the lake (where it can be super windy). My softshell tent held up just fine, and the noise wasn't all that bad, but I also made sure the rainfly and any flaps were pretty well secured before I went down for the night. I woke up a couple of times due to the wind, but my son (4yo) slept like the dead.

The only reason I'd go hardshell would be the takedown time. On my own, It takes me about 2 minutes to set up my softshell, but about 10 minutes to take it down (maybe 5-6 min if I have another set of hands). As much as I hate the damn thing, the Rhino Rack Pioneer platform makes it much easier, since I can basically walk around the tent to take it down without worrying about damaging the roof of the truck. It took forever to tear down the RTT when it was mounted on the stock rails on my last 100.

I just haven't been able to justify spending $2,000+ on a new tent to save 7-8 minutes of time...yet... ;)

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
I still can't justify the expense of the rtt, the sail on top of my 4runner (maybe if i had a V8) and the weight of them. The only way i would get one is if i put it on a trailer... but then why not just get a camping trailer? I still love my 3 person, 2 pole tent that i can set up and take down in 5 mins. And it was only $180! Plus i can place it anywhere, under some trees, next to a stream, in my backpack.

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
I camped at Loch Lomond last year, right below the lake (where it can be super windy). My softshell tent held up just fine, and the noise wasn't all that bad, but I also made sure the rainfly and any flaps were pretty well secured before I went down for the night. I woke up a couple of times due to the wind, but my son (4yo) slept like the dead.

The only reason I'd go hardshell would be the takedown time. On my own, It takes me about 2 minutes to set up my softshell, but about 10 minutes to take it down (maybe 5-6 min if I have another set of hands). As much as I hate the damn thing, the Rhino Rack Pioneer platform makes it much easier, since I can basically walk around the tent to take it down without worrying about damaging the roof of the truck. It took forever to tear down the RTT when it was mounted on the stock rails on my last 100.

I just haven't been able to justify spending $2,000+ on a new tent to save 7-8 minutes of time...yet... ;)
Ha the few times we have been in really windy conditions our son slept so hard he had to be woken up. Maybe instead of calming music we need a product that simulates a camping in strong winds. We'll call it overland ________ and sell it for $250 a piece.

bassguyry

Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I still can't justify the expense of the rtt, the sail on top of my 4runner (maybe if i had a V8) and the weight of them. The only way i would get one is if i put it on a trailer... but then why not just get a camping trailer? I still love my 3 person, 2 pole tent that i can set up and take down in 5 mins. And it was only $180! Plus i can place it anywhere, under some trees, next to a stream, in my backpack.
I've definitely gone back and forth on a camping/off-road trailer. At the end of the day, I want a rig that I can throw some clothes, food, and beer in, and be heading towards a trail in less than 30 minutes. I also don't like the idea of hauling a trailer up a trail with any obstacles - I know others have done and continue to do it, it's just not something that appeals to me. I want to run a decent trail, and pull off for some dispersed camping wherever.
Ha the few times we have been in really windy conditions our son slept so hard he had to be woken up. Maybe instead of calming music we need a product that simulates a camping in strong winds. We'll call it overland ________ and sell it for $250 a piece.
Dude, I'm totally on board. My kids sleep SO hard when we camp. It's ridiculous.

BlueSteel

Lifted
Soooo, the metal poles are replaced by inflatable tubes. So I gotta carry even more stuff now 😂

I’m glad I got RTT out of my system. Great if going all the time or on long trips. Eyesore on SUVs, pickups actually don’t look too bad and looks like easier to put away if tent is lowing.

I’m looking to go halfsies or rent a basic flip out RTT infrequently if anyone is in the same boat. Used RTTs are priced very proud right now.

bassguyry

Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee