• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

ignition coil replacement suggestions?

leiniesred

Hard Core 4+
I think my 1989 coil with 260,000 miles on it is getting weak. I'd like to replace it. (no, I didn't test it, but it might be a good fix now kinda thing)

It would be NICE if the replacement was cylindrical so I could keep the stock brackets.

What are you guys with older cruisers using these days?

Classic VW Bosch blue?
MSD 8200 "blaster II"?
accel yellow or chrome zoomie one?
yawning black stocker that seems to only last a paltry quarter million miles?

Feedback appreciated. Thanks.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
+1.
Don't forget your ignitor may not like interracial marriage.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I'm thinkin', Spanky being the contrarian that he is, he's gonna do it anyhow. I'll put a Guinness on it in fact. Any takers?
;)

Seriously, the Toyota ignition is so good you'll play heck putting anything in there that is more efficient. More expensive maybe, more efficient? No. The ignition isn't where the 3.slo gets wheezy. It's from the headgasket up. Inclusive.

leiniesred

Hard Core 4+
Ah! At this point, I haven't! (against my "Mr. Wrong is always right" judgement none-the less!)

Last night, I was working on my power steering and wanted to crank 'er over to bleed the system a bit, so I unplugged the coil wire at the cap. I wedged it by the brake lines, where I could see it while I cranked. It seems to throw a spark at least 3/8th of an inch. It is more orange than blue, but is still looks pretty hearty. So, I left the coil alone did some other maintenance instead.

The rig fired up fine this morning, but I'll need a cold day to know if that does the trick.

leiniesred

Hard Core 4+
Chili wins the bet! Mr. Wrong strikes again.

I happened to be at the store getting a light bulb for Lin's truck and I picked up an aftermarket MSD coil. Truck starts like it used to again. We'll see how long the igniter lasts. I think I have an extra stock coil and igniter if it fails.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+

leiniesred

Hard Core 4+
Dave: You bet. I measured the 8200 MSD coil at 1.4 ohms and my suspect stocker at 1.1 ohms. If anything, my stocker was drawing more current than the MSD unit. I think the igniter will be fine. We're talkin' about a pretty simple ignition system here. ;)

In my Historical KB, a good coil is around 1.5 ohms. A shorted coil is 1 or less.
Also in my historical KB, A ballast resistor was used simply to drop the operating voltage of the coil down to about 7 volts. The ballast resistor is bypassed during starting to overcome the voltage drop while the starter is working. This made a big difference on cold mornings in a 63 Austin Healey with 12 foot batt-rey cables.
I'll let you know when something fails.

Chili: I'll buy ya a beer, but you pick a date or miles and if my igniter lives beyond, you buy me one. hehe!
Current: 1989 igniter has 259,600 miles on it.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Chili: I'll buy ya a beer, but you pick a date or miles and if my igniter lives beyond, you buy me one. hehe!
Current: 1989 igniter has 259,600 miles on it.
Seems like a safe bet. Either the ignitor or the truck dies within a year!