• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

I Need Convincing Long vs. Short Bed

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Not that a new Tundra is anywhere close to my budget, but I will be interested to see what type of mileage the new tundras get.
As I understand it the new Tundra will be a turbo V6. Probably capable of slightly better MPG but I suspect the vast majority will enjoy the spool-up too often too see a real world gain.

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
You think Tundras feel expensive wait until you start shopping for Tacomas. Took me a few months to find mine (although I was specific on a few things, stick shift for one) and that was before Toyota truck stupidity was set to 11. I've had people ask if I wanted to sell my truck now with +6 years for as much as $5k more than I paid. That's of course partially due to the super duper Overland™ modifications, though. I honestly thought about it since a pretty plain SR5 Access Cab Tundra a few years newer would be pretty close to what that guy offered me and I'd get a V8 and more space. Plus I'd get the Tundra brake upgrade without ever turning a wrench.
I have been looking nation wide for tacos. Western states like Colorado, Utah and Cali are just the worst when shopping for just about any Toyota 4x4. Definitely going to pay a premium price.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I have been looking nation wide for tacos. Western states like Colorado, Utah and Cali are just the worst when shopping for just about any Toyota 4x4. Definitely going to pay a premium price.
Look in Texas.

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
So it looks like the Taco is not in my future. Went down to Boulder toyota to check out a Taco and put my daughters car seat in the back to see how much room she would have and it's too tight. Even with putting the seat in the middle and then moving up the driver and passenger seats there isn't much extra. Sooooo now I may be looking to up size to a Tundra?

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
So it looks like the Taco is not in my future. Went down to Boulder toyota to check out a Taco and put my daughters car seat in the back to see how much room she would have and it's too tight. Even with putting the seat in the middle and then moving up the driver and passenger seats there isn't much extra. Sooooo now I may be looking to up size to a Tundra?
Was this a 4 door? What generation? I would also love an older Taco, but kids seats a must. Forward or rear facing?

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Our 2010 double cab tundra has been great. Fits Mila (3.5yo) and our two dogs (12 and 80lb) in the back easily. 6.5’ bed fits everything. It’s fast. Gets 12.5-13mpg no matter what. Does mean burnouts. 6sp tranny and 5.7 combo is nice. Brakes are sufficient. Wheeled it significantly this weekend and it did well. Found it with 135k miles for 15k local. That was back in March not sure if those deals are around anymore... I had to really search hard for it back then and I had an extensive nation wide search going.

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Was this a 4 door? What generation? I would also love an older Taco, but kids seats a must. Forward or rear facing?
It was on a 2021 Taco DC. We have a forward facing car seat that sits in the middle. I am only 5'9 and when I put the set back there wasn't much room and her legs would kind of be sandwiched between the seats. The roof was pretty low too. The taco I looked at didn't have the sun roof so there was a little more head room but not much.

maxpowerzz

Trail Ready

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
It was on a 2021 Taco DC. We have a forward facing car seat that sits in the middle. I am only 5'9 and when I put the set back there wasn't much room and her legs would kind of be sandwiched between the seats. The roof was pretty low too. The taco I looked at didn't have the sun roof so there was a little more head room but not much.
Ill report that our double cab Frontier is about the same for leg room without sliding the passenger seat forward but it has plenty of headroom.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Based on the OP I’d buy a Tundra.
Two problems with Tundras:
1) only super short bed with crew cab
2) gas mileage

That's how I ended up with a GMC Duramax. I am getting 16-17 mpg consistently around town, and nearly 22mpg on the highway if I'm not towing. Those should improve with the new bed cover I just got.

I really wanted a Tundra, but the two items above sent me to the dark side.

Flatrash

Brand New
I have a ‘13 DC short bed I bought new. 170k and no issues but I’ve always wished I got the long bed. I tow a 4K lb boat and the gas mileage sucks when doing so. Along with lift and bfg ko2s I bet I get about 12mpg towing. Maybe less honestly, and rear drum sucks for towing. FYI I have no idea why but access cab has a higher tow rating. Either way, I’d go long bed, or tundra