I Need Convincing Long vs. Short Bed

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I am gonna be in the market for a newish double cab Taco in the next few months. Finally gonna replace my DD 2006 Toyota Matrix (bought in 05 as an 06 model) after 16 years. I don't drive far for work daily about 20 miles round trip. I definitely like the long bed Tacos but wonder how much I would use a long bed vs a short bed?

Anyone got some insight on both if they handle differently or if drivability is all that noticeable? Any other quirks I should know about? This will be my daily so I don't plan on putting a big lift, tires and all of the re-donkey-less overland gear on it. Maybe just a camper shell at some point and sliders? Also this will be my tow rig as well for my small 1200lb livin lite camper. Towing with the 80 is getting a little bit cumbersome.

:cheers:

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
I am gonna be in the market for a newish double cab Taco in the next few months. Finally gonna replace my DD 2006 Toyota Matrix (bought in 05 as an 06 model) after 16 years. I don't drive far for work daily about 20 miles round trip. I definitely like the long bed Tacos but wonder how much I would use a long bed vs a short bed?

Anyone got some insight on both if they handle differently or if drivability is all that noticeable? Any other quirks I should know about? This will be my daily so I don't plan on putting a big lift, tires and all of the re-donkey-less overland gear on it. Maybe just a camper shell at some point and sliders? Also this will be my tow rig as well for my small 1200lb livin lite camper. Towing with the 80 is getting a little bit cumbersome.

:cheers:
Only my personal thoughts: Whenever I see a long bed, it takes me a second of looking at it to realize what looks funny... ahh long bed. Probably more functional for hauling stuff, but then why not just get a tundra.

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
I think both long and short have their place. I personally would buy a long bed unless it was for wheeling. I like the look of the long bed and I think they give you a lot more options for hauling. If you put a shell on the back you can sleep back there...unless you’re super tall. Honestly my favorite taco is the access cab with the 6.5 bed but that doesn’t work too good if you have a family.

@Shuksan has a good point though. A good buddy of mine was looking for a new Tacoma (back in 2017) and got a much better deal on a double cab tundra. He loves the tundra!

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Only my personal thoughts: Whenever I see a long bed, it takes me a second of looking at it to realize what looks funny... ahh long bed. Probably more functional for hauling stuff, but then why not just get a tundra.
I have looked a Tundras too but I do mostly city driving and I'm not sure I can justify 13 mpgs in the city. Especially if you get a Tundra with the 38 gallon tank. Your looking over a 100 bucks a week to fill potentially. I would love the power though.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
The Double Cab Tacoma with a 6' bed is battleship long. Make sure you drive it in a few parking lots before committing. I have an Access Cab, which all have 6' beds, but I don't have kids and really didn't want a 4 door truck.

If you use it for truck stuff, especially with a topper, the extra foot is just that much more useful. I actually wish Toyota still made the real long bed, which was a 7 foot bed and regular cab, but they stopped that in 1992. With a 6' bed you generally don't ever need more than the tail gate down unless you're carrying 12' sticks of whatever.

My $0.02 is if you want four doors and a daily driver get a 4Runner and a trailer. That's just me, though. And since you're pulling a camper I'd highly encourage you to get a Tundra. The Tacoma's tow ratings are optimistic in my experience. The Tundra will be more comfortable and the brakes are more adequate.

krice118

Trail Ready
Tundra for towing if you ever decide on a bigger trailer.

Short bed for city navigating....

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
The Double Cab Tacoma with a 6' bed is battleship long. Make sure you drive it in a few parking lots before committing. I have an Access Cab, which all have 6' beds, but I don't have kids and really didn't want a 4 door truck.

If you use it for truck stuff, especially with a topper, the extra foot is just that much more useful. I actually wish Toyota still made the real long bed, which was a 7 foot bed and regular cab, but they stopped that in 1992. With a 6' bed you generally don't ever need more than the tail gate down unless you're carrying 12' sticks of whatever.

My $0.02 is if you want four doors and a daily driver get a 4Runner and a trailer. That's just me, though. And since you're pulling a camper I'd highly encourage you to get a Tundra. The Tacoma's tow ratings are optimistic in my experience. The Tundra will be more comfortable and the brakes are more adequate.
I think Ray's trailer is probably pretty light

Telly

Rising Sun Member
I owned a 07 Tacoma double cab short bed and it was one of the best rigs I've owned. Bought a matching Leer topper, which was super handy and I liked the look. You will be surprised how much crap you can fit in the back, especially with the topper. Pulled our pop-up camper with ease too. I attempted to find the same truck used last year but you will have to sell a kidney to find a decent one with average miles.

Firetacoma

I have an '07 double cab short bed. I pull a pop-up camper with ease. I wouldn't own a different truck for my needs (2 kids and a dog). It fits well in the garage and parking lots, it's nimble off road, and it fits our family and gear. I've never wished I had a longer bed.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I think Ray's trailer is probably pretty light
True, he says 1,200 lbs. But prefacing that I don't own a camper so my experience is with rentals, that's about where I think the limit should be. It was more sketchy than I liked with a double axle U-Haul coming down the west side of Vail Pass. Also I understand that people with small campers often convince themselves they need bigger campers...

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
I have a 2016 Tacoma long bed double cab with topper. I'm happy with it. I would say go with the long bed. It's my daily driver (with 32"mud tires ;)). I took the life is short - go for it and get what you want approach. I love being able to car camp in it and haul things. Had a fender bender and put a CBI bumper on it. The double cable doesn't get used much, wish they made more of the access cab versions. They are hard to find with a long bed.

I got used to the long bed in the city. It's not too bad. But, with my tires and long bed my city mileage is down to about 14-15mpg. About like my 4Runner oops.:p

Attachments

• IMG_5672.JPG
    IMG_5672.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 99

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I'm just trying to find the best overall experience at this point. Combo of mpgs, functionality, decent comfort and a little extra power.

Like I said, I have been driving the same 118hp 1.8L 4 cyl car for 16 years now so anything that is a bit bigger with a bit more power and extra space is gonna be awesome. It's been rough trying to use my 80 to be the work horse. It gets the job done but it's a bit more of a chore with a small camper, all the gear and family to pack up.

I'd love a Tundra but not sure it fits my life style and wallet.

Thanks for everyone's comments.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I'd love a Tundra but not sure it fits my life style and wallet.
You think Tundras feel expensive wait until you start shopping for Tacomas. Took me a few months to find mine (although I was specific on a few things, stick shift for one) and that was before Toyota truck stupidity was set to 11. I've had people ask if I wanted to sell my truck now with +6 years for as much as $5k more than I paid. That's of course partially due to the super duper Overland™ modifications, though. I honestly thought about it since a pretty plain SR5 Access Cab Tundra a few years newer would be pretty close to what that guy offered me and I'd get a V8 and more space. Plus I'd get the Tundra brake upgrade without ever turning a wrench.

Beach Boy

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Loved my short bed Taco I had for years for off-roading, ease of parking in the city and I pulled my 22 foot Lance camper throughout the West and down to Florida twice. Miss it.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Don't be afraid to buy out of state to bypass the Toyota tax in Colorado.

bassguyry

Commander + Cruise Moab Chairman
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
Not that a new Tundra is anywhere close to my budget, but I will be interested to see what type of mileage the new tundras get.