I have last year's General study book, close enough to pass the new exam?

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
This is a good one if there are any VE's in the club or anyone who knows how much the exams/content changes between "editions". I have the ARRL General fifth addition study materials, but I believe currently it's the 6th edition. will I be OK to study from that book or are the questions that much different? Meaning...should I get the new edition?

thanks,

73's

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
The various license test question pools change every 4 years. The current pool for General was released July 1, 2019 and will be valid until June 30, 2023. So to be absolutely current you'd have to make sure it was revised for the 2019 pool.

But the test pool I don't think changes a lot each revision so even if it happens to be the previous pool it's still useful for a study guide. I don't know how much it changes in total though, so make sure any practice exams you take online are using the 2019 revision question pool.

DanielChase

Rising Sun Member
I purchased those books as well though what I ended up doing (passed 1st time) was downloading a free Ham test quiz app on my phone and taking practice quizzes repeatedly for 90 mins in the parking lot before the test began. You will start to memorize the right answers that are associated with the numerous questions in the question bank. You will pass the test but YMMV as far as retention goes.

What’s a repeater, again? J/K