Quick Tip How to add images to your post -- and how not to

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
How to add images to your posts: best practices

Ever see posts on the forum with missing or broken images? Here are a few reasons that images disappear:
  • The image hosting website is now defunct or has changed their business model. For example, Photobucket is still around but it costs $$$ to share your images on external websites.
  • Your images are online but permissions are not set correctly for sharing. This is most frequently seen with images hosted on Google Photos.
  • You're sharing an image that was hosted on another website but that website no longer exists or has deleted the old image.
  • You are sharing an image directly from a temporary search result. We've seen a lot of this recently (2022-2023). These images disappear within a few days. Example: sharing an image directly from a Bing or DuckDuckGo search.
How to upload an image correctly

1. Download the image
that you want to share using "Save Image As..." or by taking a screenshot.

2. Upload the image by using "Attach File" below the message editor.

attach-files.png

3. Embed the image into your post. You have two options: Thumbnail or Full image. Most of the time, "Thumbnail" is the better choice because it will display the image at the original size (without artificially stretching it to fill the screen).

thumb-or-full.png

How to inspect your images and make changes

You can view and change how your images are being embedded by toggling into the BB code mode. Here's how:

1. Click the Toggle BB Code icon at the top right of the editor window.

toggle.png

2. What are you seeing? If the code looks like any of these, your image has been uploaded to our forum and will display correctly for years to come.
Code:
[ATTACH]123456[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=full]123456[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH alt="file-name"]123456[/ATTACH]

If your code looks like this, your image is being pulled in from another website:

Code:
[IMG]https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?
u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.wujEj
-zmyYbNJ63ByK3FVgHaE8%26pid%3DApi&f=1&ipt=b75503e41da00adeb76b3190feb7474d39cb9
3d3f248eeeea9bf150ea2518d71&ipo=images[/IMG]

This is probably because you "dragged & dropped" the image from another browser window. It works for a little while until the search engine clears its cached history which might take a day or two. Then we have missing images from posts on our forum.

Summary: Please take the time to download your images and upload them to our forum so we can see them for many years to come. We pay for a significant amount of storage space so there is no need to pull the images from other sites. The other sites are not trustworthy — we intend to be here for years to come.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Great post Matt. I've been wondering about this because I have been using a photo hosting site for years and linking to my photos in threads. It's a $ site, which i'm fine with, but it is getting more expensive and I would like to think the forum will be around longer than me, so I worry about the broken link scenario.

Is there a way to somehow have the forum software collect, save, post linked images without doing it one at a time?

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
You can select multiple photos for upload all at once, then position them in your post as you see fit or put them all in at once.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
So if I wanted all the images I have embedded via links to be permanent, I would have to download them and then edit the post and re upload it? Bummer.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
So if I wanted all the images I have embedded via links to be permanent, I would have to download them and then edit the post and re upload it? Bummer.
So long as you are willing to continue to pay for your hosting service, your images will be intact. Going forward, you might choose to upload them here.