• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

House air conditioning

OilHammer

Hard Core 4+
Anyone in the club an HVAC tech savvy person? I bought an old house....previous owner said they never ran the A/C. It's there, might work, but I hate to just turn it on and see without having someone open it up and check it out first. I assume if I call a shop, they'll all say it's crap and to replace it. That's fine, I'll likely replace it next year, but I'd like to see if it will run this summer.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Open it up and vacuum it out. Then run just the fan. Then see if the compressor starts up. Then see if it produces cold air at all.

If the refrigerant leaked out you won’t want to run compressor long if at all.

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
Our AC is about 20 years old. Which is great actually as it can actually be worked on. It gets very minimal use. Last year was the most we ever ran it, both of us at home, the high temps we had, plus windows closed for weeks with the smoke from fires.

My go to was YouTube and HVAC forums, it has been relatively problem free. I clean the condenser once a year with a vacuum and coil brush.

OilHammer

Hard Core 4+
This a/c might be from about 1970. Vac might work I just thought there might be a gauge test. Maybe a spin the motors by hand?

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Ya. An A/C guy/gal could attach his/her gauges and tell you if it’s charged. If it’s that old you’re there’s not many options if it’s empty.