• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Homebrew Shock Extension

FJBen

I understand the physics behind it, and needing negative pull to keep the rig more stable, I just don't think I'll have to worry about it up front at all until I do something custom, it won't useat up front.

The rear yeah, I would like that extra pull to be there. It can still only force that front suspension so much without having to do something different up there.

I have no sway bars and I also pull that front pin occasionlly during wheeling so she actually is pretty dang balanced.

Guess bottom line I will retain the rear and be happy ! :D

FJBen

UPDATE:

Be very careful when measuring lengths and such. I *might* have to move those top mounts inwards by re-drilling the top hole as the shock body can possibly come into contact on full stuff. I'm doing the panhards this week so that may fix the issue on the rear.

Beater

Hard Core 4+
be sure to check aa-mfg for adjustable mounts that might work for you.

FJBen

green machine said:
be sure to check aa-mfg for adjustable mounts that might work for you.

lol, thanks for the heads up on that one! I doubt they'll have custom upper mounts that will work with the 80 series upper rear, but hey, you never know.

I just need to redrill that upper mount inwards more...one of those trial/error thingies...

FJBen

Moved the mount inwards a little and all is good. Any shock bigger than the Bilstein 2" will probably hit the sides and need the hole enlarged.

Worked pretty good this weekend up at kelly flats, and I'm slightly unseating at full droop, so it will need to be retained.

1st Pic: posuer rock, TJ's lil' Sister standing in front, yes she's taller than 5' :)

2nd Pic: looking under the body...

Attachments

• posuerflex.jpg
    posuerflex.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 138
  • underbody.jpg
    underbody.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 136