• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Home Solar

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
@RayRay27 I haven't figured out the Smart meter yet, Maybe the increase is to catch up on your net balance???

In another thread I discussed changing out one of my two HVAC systems with a Dual (Furnace/Heat Pump) set up. You can see considerably less usage in 2023 with the Heat Pump. I will be changing the 2nd system next year

I did have a few setup SW issues with two batteries that led to lower production in 2022. That has now been fixed

I was hoping I would have enough extra to supply at least 1 EV for my wife in 2024 or 2025. That should be no problem

I haven't paid for electricity since I installed the solar system

this was 2022
1698203238919.png

this is 2023 so far- New system installed mid January. Little more electricity in spring. Ignore September as my system was off (literally) for 3 weeks while my roof was replaced

January was the only month I used more than produced. That was because the panels were covered with snow most of the month
1698203200070.png

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
Has anyone had issues on their Xcel bill with the new smart meters that were installed? I had a new smart meter installed in early September by Xcel and now it shows my energy consumption is up exponentially compared to previous months and years. Based on the chart below the temps were about the same compared to last year so I don't think I was running my AC any differently. I don't have an electric car and we haven't changed our energy usage at all really. Curious if anyone else has noticed anything funky on their bill?

Xcel Chart
View attachment 122322

Sunrun Solar Energy Production Chart
View attachment 122323
With the smart meters you can view a break down of your daily usage. You might see exactly when the power was being used to see if you can isolate what it going on?

Here is how to get to the area I am referring to:
Go to visit my energy. Circled in red in the lower left corner:
Screenshot 2023-10-25 at 09-43-42 Home My Account Xcel Energy.png

Then View My Usage & Cost:
Screenshot 2023-10-25 at 09-44-01 Xcel Energy.png

Then select day and/or hour to view when the peak usage occurred. In is possible to select different days to view usage when in the hourly selection:
Screenshot 2023-10-25 at 09-44-20 Xcel Energy.png

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
Has anyone had issues on their Xcel bill with the new smart meters that were installed? I had a new smart meter installed in early September by Xcel and now it shows my energy consumption is up exponentially compared to previous months and years. Based on the chart below the temps were about the same compared to last year so I don't think I was running my AC any differently. I don't have an electric car and we haven't changed our energy usage at all really. Curious if anyone else has noticed anything funky on their bill?

Xcel Chart
View attachment 122322

Sunrun Solar Energy Production Chart
View attachment 122323
I just installed a new product on one of my loads panels. It is perfect for your situation. It is called the Emporia Vue 2. It is a smart monitor that you attach to your main feed and the hot lead of each breaker. It monitors your solar production and your energy usage for each individual breaker. I waited to say anything about it until I could confirm that it was accurate. It is pretty much spot on based on my usage shown on the Xcel site. You can track usage on each breaker with their app down to a second by second interval. This would at least arm you with evidence of your to usage when you speak with Xcel.

It does all sorts of fancy stuff that is awesome. One of the really awesome things that will make sense for a lot of people here is that it allows you to share a dryer breaker with one of their EV chargers. It then only allows the max wattage of that breaker to be used at anytime. So if you are charging your car and you start the dryer, it will throttle the car charger down while the dryer is running. Then, once the dryer is done, it will step the charging up again.

Here is a non affiliate Amazon link: