• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Holy Cross Trail, July 17-19

My family has some land really close to the trailhead for Holy Cross City. I've been hiking this trail since I was a kid. I've often wanted to bring my truck and run the trail. The only problem is, I'm the only one with a trail ready rig. So, who wants to make this trail their bitch!? For those of you that aren't aware of the trail, I highly recommend Google! To sweeten the pot, my family said that I could offer up a few camping spots for the weekend. Besides the wheeling, there is great hiking, quite a few ponds and French Creek to practice your cast, and catch a few fish for appetizers! The only thing that my family asks is to maintain the social distancing thing since my aunt and uncle are almost 70.

I know it is short notice, but it promises to be a helluva great time!

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
I would suggest moving this to the 4wheeling-and-event-staging-area section. This also sounds like a good time!

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
I am definitely not built enough to run that!

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
01 4runner, 3" lift on 265/75 r16s. Front and rear bumpers with winch, 3/4 bud built skid underneath with the oem fuel tank skid (weakest link) and sliders. Its on the rack at slee getting a rear locker right now. Body is pristine and is my only vehicle other than the company truck.

LandBruiser

Lifted
Did this ever end up happening?

It did...sorta. Everyone that showed interest had projects on their rigs that took longer than expected. I ended up running it alone, but with about 20+ Jeeps on the trail, I felt confident I'd be good.

About 80% of the way up I destroyed the passenger cv axle on a rather large obstacle. I backed down to a somewhat flat spot and got to work on the repair. Knowing that Tacomas cv's are a weak link, I always carry a spare with me, and had it swapped out in under an hour. The broken axle was an oreilly part, but I replaced it with a Toyota reman. OEM for the win!

Unfortunately all the other rigs on the trail were long gone, so I did the smart thing and headed back down to camp. Since the trail was out of the picture, we went up to the dam and took a nice stroll across.

Got some great pics, and a few crazy stories. My wife ended up getting lyme disease from a tick bite! She is well on the way to recovery now.

We can't wait to go back!!

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Damn! Like I said earlier, my truck still has some snake bites from that trail. The creek crossing and a couple obstacles are definitely legit. Fun trail...and beautiful. Glad you were able to rescue yourself and sorry about the tick bite. The ticks are awful this year.