• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Henry Golden Boy .44 or .357?

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
So...lets just say you threw down some random bids on a Henry Golden Boy repeating rifle auction and you won it for like $28. true. :)

given the choice, would you pick the .357 or .44? anyone have one? uses would be combo of plinking poking holes in stuff, and 'just in case something big and furry comes into camp'.

also, i don't have any handguns in either caliber.

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I'd go .357 if that will also run .38 so you'll have more bang/buck when you're just having fun. But that .44 would be pretty cool as well, so with just $28 in one you should pony up for the other and make it a pair :)

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
I know, right!!?

It was really just on whim. My dad has a .22 golden boy that is just plain fun to shoot. I had some 'bids' on bid gunner.com and all said and done it was probably $50. :) I have to let them know today which one I'll choose.

I'm going back an forth on the caliber...doesn't that .44 sound fun!!! but for reality and ammo cost, .357 might be wiser. it'll push .357mag at about 1500fps.

for a campsite/backcountry/truck firearm I'm kinda leaning to the .44, but looking at youtube the .357 seems to recoil like a rimfire.

I'd love to hear what other folks have to say.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 309

wesintl

RS Moderator
I'd opt for the 45-70 ;) :p:

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
it sure is purty

Picked up the Henry this week. I agree...it's really nice looking. but the balance and action is even better! I'm hitting the range tonight after work. I picked up some specials and magnums. :thumb:

Now....time to find a deal on a S&W 629:D

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
It's wicked cool!!

This an awesome "outlaws"/truck gun. I hit a pie plate at 25yrds 100% of the time while getting used to the sights and such. The recoil is next to nothing. Well not like the .22 but ridiculously gentle for a .44

nattybumppo

Hard Core 4+