• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Help with adding weight to 100 series LC

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
Hey everyone,
I ordered my rear bumper from Mike at Bump it Off-road and it should be done here in the next month or so. I'm trying to figure out what to do about replacing my rear coil springs since I'll be adding some extra weight.
I don't have drawers in the back but I do have a wooden platform built along with a couple of front runner boxes full of gear. All together I figure the platform plus gear weighs somewhere between 100-125lbs. I ordered the BIO standard bumper with tire carrier and double jerry can carrier. I'm running a Old Man Emu 2.5" kit on the LC, 2860 rear coils and nitro shocks, and 285s on stock 100 series wheels.
I figured some of you might be running a similar setup so let's hear your thoughts.

Thanks
Scott

bassguyry

Commander + Cruise Moab Chairman
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I don’t think airbags are necessary.

I think I have the OME 2864 or 2863 rear springs (whatever the “heavy load” model is), and have no issues with sag in the rear. I’d go that route, if I were you.

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
I have a similar setup to you and am using a pair of slee heavies I got from @Shuksan.

My rear bumper is a 4x4labs but I think similar weight. I don't have Jerry cans but that would probably balance the rear end more.

I needed a pretty big spacer on the driver's side to compensate for the tire and full gas tank.

Last edited:

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
Probably 2863s would be a good fit for you. They are the heavies for the 100. The 864s are the “super heavies”. This is what I have right now with rear bumper, 2 swing arms, drawers w/ tools, and usually a fridge and rtt. I also tow my camp trailer frequently. I think you need to be really heavy to justify the 864s and I think I barely meet this. I like the 864s but have thought about going down to 863s plus airbags for increased flexibility in load.

bassguyry

Commander + Cruise Moab Chairman
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Probably 2863s would be a good fit for you. They are the heavies for the 100. The 864s are the “super heavies”. This is what I have right now with rear bumper, 2 swing arms, drawers w/ tools, and usually a fridge and rtt. I also tow my camp trailer frequently. I think you need to be really heavy to justify the 864s and I think I barely meet this. I like the 864s but have thought about going down to 863s plus airbags for increased flexibility in load.
I wish Slee noted the rear spring # on my invoice. It just says "heavy load". :mad:

I'm also running drawers, RTT, fridge, dual swingouts, etc., and have never had any issues with weight in the rear. I wonder if they installed the 864s on my rig too.

But I digress, @Johnny Utah, I agree with Brian - I think the 2863s would work fine for your rig.

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
I wish Slee noted the rear spring # on my invoice. It just says "heavy load". :mad:

I'm also running drawers, RTT, fridge, dual swingouts, etc., and have never had any issues with weight in the rear. I wonder if they installed the 864s on my rig too.

But I digress, @Johnny Utah, I agree with Brian - I think the 2863s would work fine for your rig.
Go inspect the springs. There is usually a sticker on there that has the part number

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I think you're on the right track. I have 8864's on my 100 and they are a bit tall even with lots of weight. They work well for me but with drawers, gear, tools, rtt, full armor, etc, etc the rear still rides a bit higher than needed when loaded for lighter trips.

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
Thanks all for the replies. I asked Mike at BIO and he said to call cruiser outfitters and that the bumper would add around 250 lbs. I called cruiser outfitters and they said I was close to 2864 with my RTT.
After hearing everyone’s input, I’m leaning toward 2863 since I don’t have drawers or fridge.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
You could always try the cheap route and run some Mr. Gaskets... I've done this on several rigs. Not as good as a longer or stiffer spring, but also $40 and and all you have to do is unbolt the lower shock bolt.

That would at least get you to the same level again... then when you get bigger springs take them out. Then when get drawers, put them back in.