• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Help finding setting after upgrade

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Hi Webmaster(s),

Prior to the upgrade, my profile was set up so that when I pressed the "New Posts" button, I saw only the new posts since my last visit.

After the upgrade, I see two sections: One that contains the new posts, and lower down one that contains posts that haven't been updated since my last visit, but that I haven't read.

How do I turn off that second section? I looked in my User CP, but I have pretty severe Male Refrigerator Blindness, so I likely looked right over it.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

benjrblant

Trail Ready
Selecting Quick Links / Mark Forums Read will clear this. I'm unsure if there is a more long-term solution.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 391

wesintl

RS Moderator
It will come back though Ben if you don't do that every time.

I know what you're saying Issac. Likely it's a feature :) lol. I don't like it either :(

This was posted in the VB forums last year...

It is split into two parts...the top part is actual unread posts since last visit. Below that is a bar that states:
"The content below has not been updated since your last visit but may still contain unread items."
These will go back the seven days.

The old cookie based system was inaccurate and obsolete. It doesn't recognise read posts across devices. Back in 2003 when everyone used a single computer and there were no smartphones, that was fine. In the modern era, its behaviour is almost considered a bug. Removing it IS a good move because it didn't work as people expected and was the source of many tickets and complaints believing it to be broken.

Once a thread has been "read" then it will no longer appear in the New Posts list. If anyone wants a list of all threads that day, read or otherwise, use "Today's Posts", which shows unread in bold and read in standard type.

I do remember seeing this behavior using multiple devices.

Last edited:

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Thanks Wes and Ben! No worries then. I figured if it was an easy fix I would do it but since it’s not I won’t worry about it.

Cheers!