Headlights not working - bad ground?

Hello, this is my first post here - helping a relative with a 1988 FJ62 Land Cruiser.

Stepdad hit a bump, headlights went out, another bump, headlights back on. Now, headlights are dead.

Fuses all checked, fuse links look good. Replaced the rust colored relay because it was buzzing - still not working. Another headlamp relay is buzzing, along with blower motor relay.

Here are the symptoms:
1- very dim light on the low beams now, nothing on high beams.
2- Light switch activates blower motor.
3- Turn signals and blue bright light on dashboard stay lit. Right turn signal on dash blinks fine, when switched to left turn signal it blinks very fast.
4- I've sprayed WD-40 on column switch to try and clean it. I've wiggled wires around and checked for shorts on all front bulbs and rear, driver side lights.

I'm told it might be a ground - but have no idea where to look. Also, both left and right side marker lights are disconnected.

Any ideas?

Many thanks!

Jamie

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I'll take a wild guess based on a Toyota generalization...
the minitrucks use a ground through the turn signal stalk. Not a good system. First place to check.

If that is it, an aftermarket headlight wiring harness with relay-switched large gauge wire feeding the lamps is far superior and worth the $$. Brighter lights, too.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
...or just hit another bump....

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

lights

I wish I could hit another bump..LOL

I am familiar with the other lights. On another car I ordered a wiring kit, relay system and installed high-wattage eCode lights. It's like night and day.

On this truck I don't think that will happen. I think he wants to keep it going until he buys a Tundra this fall.

Tracing this short is a pain. Do I need to pull the steering wheel if we need to replace the switch on the column?

fj62

I pulled the steering wheel, took apart the headlight switch and sprayed it with WD 40 and reassembled it. No change. I have been racking my brain, trying to find where this thing might ground (or not be grounding).

Can anyone point me in the direction of a technical forum or group (if you guys cannot assist)? I am really surprised - I've been Googling a lot of key words and thought I'd come across a dozen good sites with breakdowns and pics of everything - but I haven't been able to find them.

Anyway, I am at a loss and any help is kindly appreciated.

Jamie