• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Head gasket goo removal?

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
I am trying to remove the baked on remains of a head gasket on a Toyota aluminum head. A buddy went over it gently with a Scotchbrite type pad, which cleaned much of it, but some goo remains.

Other than a methylene-chloride-type remover, with very gentle scraping, what else have people done? I don't want to keep grinding away with a Scotchbrite...

Thanks,

Steve

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
You could take it to the auto parts/machine shop place and have them skim off just a tad? Should check for flatness anyway... Dunno, just a thought.

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
Thanks. I've continued with acetone and paint stripper and brand new single edge razor blades and have gotten fairly close to 'clean'. This is a beater-car resto deal, and I'm trying to avoid socking huge amounts of money into it, else I'd take the head in for a light machining.

Steve

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
3M Scotchbrite wheel. Best thing since sliced bread on cleaning head mating surfaces (and a BUNCH of other auto-related tasks).

Attachments

• sand4.jpg
    sand4.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 146

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
3M Scotchbrite wheel. Best thing since sliced bread on cleaning head mating surfaces (and a BUNCH of other auto-related tasks).

Wow, took the paint clean off that hood! :eek: :lmao: