He he, now it's MY turn for a tire thread!

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I know, I should have this all figured out after all the research I've done, but I'm too stoopid to make a decision :hill: . The idea is that I'm going with 31 x 10.50s on 15 x 8 white wagon wheels I got from Ige. I also need help with shocks, see below.

I've decided against 33s because I'll be changing backspacing, tire width and tire height all at the same time, and I do NOT want my chains rubbing next winter, and with 33s that would most likely happen, plus CJ7 Matt has done pretty good with 31 x 10.50 ATs and I have more clearance than him and want a mud terrain.

So it's either between a BFG Mud Terrain or the Goodyear MT/R. MT/Rs are obviously more money, which I will have, but just trying to get a pat on the back before I got for it. Now that the truck has the Lockright, my biggest concern is how the rear end might try to swing around when I'm on a snowy sideslope. I heard that MT/Rs have better lateral traction and are an overall tougher tire, so I've REALLY been leaning that way. Just want people's last input for that tire size before I pull the trigger.

The thing is I don't really know what the future plans are for this truck. I'm thinking of driving it more this next school year, but still not full time, and it still won't be that many street miles. At some point after I graduate I'd like to go with 33s or 35s depending on spring over or spring under lift and a myriad of other junk, but have no clue on the timeframe for that stuff, may never even happen depending on job etc.

So between these two, what do y'all think? I've looked at other brands but keep coming back to these, not interested in anything else.

Shocks, I think what's on it are OEM :eek: . So for some on-road driving but mostly off-road, but not extreme off-road, driving for a basically unladen FJ40 what are some good options? OME came to mind, but they're pricey, and I guess I don't care about all the fancy schmancy stuff, I just want it to not ride like a rock but I want to have control on mild rocky/slightly off-camber sections too. :eek: :confused: :hill: I don't know what I'm doing right now, so I'll post up a picture or four of my truck right now just for reference....btw the tires on it right now are completely bald 32 x 11.50s on some kind of weird backspaced wheels.

Attachments

• bikini top small.jpg
    bikini top small.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 313
  • in ditch.jpg
    in ditch.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 300
  • small wheel lift.jpg
    small wheel lift.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 299
  • parking lot.jpg
    parking lot.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 306

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I don't think you can go wrong with either BFGs or MT/Rs. My personal preference are the MT/Rs. Either one of these will be great.

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
Goodyear MT/R

2nd gen fixed the sidewall issues and switched from a steel bead to kevlar? I think

Nay

Hard Core 4+
subzali said:
So it's either between a BFG Mud Terrain or the Goodyear MT/R. MT/Rs are obviously more money, which I will have, but just trying to get a pat on the back before I got for it. Now that the truck has the Lockright, my biggest concern is how the rear end might try to swing around when I'm on a snowy sideslope. I heard that MT/Rs have better lateral traction and are an overall tougher tire, so I've REALLY been leaning that way. Just want people's last input for that tire size before I pull the trigger.

If you are looking for snow performance with lateral traction, you should get Trxus MT's. They will be tame in a 31" size, and they are the best snow tire I have ever run. They do very well in city hardpack, are awesome in the deep stuff, good in slush and changing conditions.

I've replaced BFG AT ko's on two rigs with Trxus MT's in much larger sizes than you are considering, and both times I the difference was so big that I could stop draining all the blood out of my knuckles every time it snows.

Snow performance is the singular reason I continue to buy this tire over any other MT or AT on the market. You know your tires are working when you are out with four young children on a snowy/icy forest road hunting for your christmas tree and your wife is relaxed and comfortable enough to take the long way back out so you can get a bit of a wheeling fix.

Nay

wesintl

RS Moderator
37" iroks :D

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
Buy them in 33's whatever you do. Come awhn you know you want too. You've already decided it's intended to go off road. Cut back the wheel wells and stuff um in. Your past the 31" tire stage, Don't compromise your off roadability. You'll get stuck that much less and not need the chains anyway.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
37s, 38s ha ha good one :lmao:

Farnham, I went through thinking about the 33 stage last fall, but after this winter I'm pretty gunshy about it. My bald 32 x 11.50s have taken me further than I have expected, and now with the Lockright in the rear I don't want to get too tall and rub. Again I'm changing backspacing, tire width and tire height all at the same time, and don't want to many variables to end up working against me. Couple reasons behind staying with 31s are mostly because I don't want to cut the bed/rub anything more than it is already...and chains are a big deal; even if the tires do okay in the snow I still want the option, and chains take up a lot of wheel well space.

Also, as I mentioned before, my buddy CJ7 Matt has done pretty much anything in Moab that I'm even going to want to do (at least for now) on 31 x 10.50 Big O A/Ts, and the plus is that once I get my exhaust pulled up I will have more clearance than him. Those Trxus tires look pretty good, there's a lot (it seems) of blowouts though, which in a 40 would be very bad. At this point I think I'm pretty much decided on the MT/R and am sticking with the size (for now), because I basically want to do this to the truck and be done working on in for a while; just drive it. I don't plan to be doing SOA or lift kit anytime soon, and cutting the body is NOT an option as it's already been done to a reasonable extent (3.5" on rocker panels and 1" in rear fenders). Someday I might be going bigger and better, but that's too far off for me to plan right now, got too many other things going on: just want to drive and wheel :)

So thanks for the advice and the laughs, I'll keep the Interco Brand in mind for the future, but now I guess I really need to get schooled on shocks. Anybody?

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
In 1990 I ran Golden Spike in a stock, "open" FJ40 with 31 inch tires. The only obstacle I didn't make it over on my own was the Golden Crack.

That being said, I've run 33's on my last FJ40, the pale yellow one I wish I'd never gotten rid of, and my FJ55. I think you'll be happier with the extra clearance. You'll want 3 1/2-4 inches of suspension lift, but I think you'll be happy. I never had any problems with rubbing in my FJ40 and I ran stock back spaced wheels. By the time you air down those 31's in Moab and some of the places we run here, you'll have very little ground clearance. Many people run 35's or larger and think anything smaller is too little. The 40 I'm building will have 35" SSRs which is the largest tire I've ever run. The problem with tires much larger than 33's is you start breaking things more easily.

So I'm encouraging you to go with 33's also. :thumb: :smokin:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
33x12.50/15 MT/Rs absolutely rock in the snow, on the street, on the rocks, for wear, ..... Git 'em.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
So I got my tires today :D. I stuck with the 31 x 10.50 and I'm glad I did. They are about the same size as the dead tires I took off this truck, which were 32 x 11.50 A/Ts, so I'm going to lose some clearance, but I'm okay with that because of the tread and tire quality. After I installed them I went for a quick little drive up Hidden Valley/Dakan right at sunset and at full stuff there is VERY VERY slight rubbing, but rubbing nonetheless, and that was actually what I was hoping to experience with this size. There is no way I could fit 33 x 10.50, let alone 33 x 12.50 under the truck the way it sits right now...maybe in a couple years after I'm settled with a house, a job, and have some play money :flamingo:

Anyway pictures, got them from Front Range Tire on Broadway, lifetime free rotation and balance plus if there's tire defects it sounds like Gary Pappas (the owner) is willing to talk with the reps about helping me out :D. Great shop! All four balanced to 0, one took almost no weight, so thanks again Ige for the good straight wagon wheels! So far I've had them up to 60 and the engine is louder than the tires (can't hardly hear the tires at all, even when listening for them), but now you barely have to raise your voice in order to have a conversation, those other tires were pretty bad! Truck rides a lot smoother too, I'm sure getting new shocks is also going to help with that.

Attachments

• HPIM0701.jpg
    HPIM0701.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 210
  • HPIM0702.jpg
    HPIM0702.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 296
  • HPIM0703.jpg
    HPIM0703.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 212

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Looks good Matt. Is that an 80 in the background? :confused:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Thanks Chris, and thanks for the gift, I think I've got an idea on how I can make it work for me ;). Yeah, that's my dad's Safari Turbo'd 80 :D

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Matt, your 40 looks great. Good choice on the MT/Rs -- you'll love 'em on the road, off the road, and even on the snow.

wesintl

RS Moderator
Looks good Matt! 31's and a lockrite will take you many, many places...