• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Has anyone run Bill Moore Lake this time of year??

I was going to head up there saturday. The route I am going to take is up Red Elephant Hill then loop Mill Creek trail and on up to Bill Moore Lake, trail snow permitting. Would love to have input from anyone who has been up there. Let me know if you can make it. :)

Attachments

• bill_moore_lake.jpg
    bill_moore_lake.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 305

Beater

Hard Core 4+
I would be extremely surprised if you could.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Last year we did a snow run up there in late May/early June and were first to break through some areas. Way too early I'd say..

John, love the avatar!! :cheers:

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
You could probably run RE Hill up into the woods until you hit snow and turn around and come back. It's usually dry up the first half and where the fun obstacles are and would be more fun than going up the Bill Moore entrance. Have a winch and be careful.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
The year before last we tried to run it around Mother's Day (middle of May). Right around timberline we spent an hour or two winching/strapping through a huge drift, only to come upon another drift a few hundred yards up the trail, this time with no trees to winch to, plus it was off camber. We had a great time, but couldn't even get very close to the lake. I'd say it really becomes passable around a month later, middle of June-ish.

wesintl

RS Moderator
I can't remember when when treeroot and nutley and I did RE to bill moore (I thought is was middle of june) and you could get up to the flat part where the scrub alpine is but the drifts were still big. I suspect with the record amount of snow this year around summit that it might be even later in the summer before we get to the same places above alpine :(

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
wesintl said:
I can't remember when when treeroot and nutley and I did RE to bill moore (I thought is was middle of june) and you could get up to the flat part where the scrub alpine is but the drifts were still big. I suspect with the record amount of snow this year around summit that it might be even later in the summer before we get to the same places above alpine :(

That was probably when you guys did tha whole "rube it in to the other guys since we got tuesdays off" thang :hill:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Try the areas around Buena Vista, Chinaman's was surprisingly dry despite the big snows. There are a lot of roads/trails on the north side of Trout Creek. You also may like Texas Creek, though it tends to be more of a motorcycle area.

Likely both are near dry, or if snowy, just enough to be fun.