Harris Park shooting area clean up day.

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
So I took a little drive out to the shooting area behind Harris park today just to see how things were going.
Not well, it turns out.

The whole place is thoroughly trashed. And it's blowing all over the place. The pictures don't do it justice at all.

So I would like propose a clean up day this spring some time. Perhaps in April? Let's talk dates.

I've used this shooting area before, and I'm sure some of you have too. I'd like for it to stay open, and for that to happen it needs to be kept clean.

Would anyone be interested in volunteering a day to come out and help me clean this mess up?
We'll need a couple small utility trailers and tarps. And lots of trash bags.

ff2108dab49e3123d7b2c2cdaa9860f7.jpg

d5d45d1c47b875e3c09aa53010bc37eb.jpg

5a160b9a8e96d35d68c4b63c1fff03ca.jpg

d5983ee46d769449fb9aacc8a2fa59c2.jpg

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Great idea Trav! I would totally be willing to help out. You might check with the forest service and see if they have anything scheduled. It runs in my mind that I've seen organized clean ups announced on Pinecam before.

:help: It's gonna take more than two of us though. And I don't have a trailer or a pickup anymore. :(

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
Depending on the day, I would be happy to help. Lets get those trail hours in ;)

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
What would work best for most people? April 7th, or 14th?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
never been there, but if it's stocker friendly and the 14th, i can probably bring the tundra up. (7th i have a coa4wdci board meeting and the 21st is the coa4wdci delegates meeting)

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
never been there, but if it's stocker friendly and the 14th, i can probably bring the tundra up. (7th i have a coa4wdci board meeting and the 21st is the coa4wdci delegates meeting)

It's Subaru stocker friendly. :hill:

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
So far, between here and another group I've listed this on, it looks like the 14th is getting the most "yes" votes.
So we'll shoot for that.
9:00 AM meet up at the Loaf and Jug on 285 at CR 43.
I'll bring my small trailer. We can use it for hauling out larger stuff.

I need some dumpsters. Who has access to a dumpster? We will need folks to take a couple bags each and dispose of them properly. I can throw out a couple bags in my cans here. And I'm sure I can get my boss to let me throw some away in our office dumpster.

Maybe one more trailer would come in handy. But it's not required.
Open bed truck's will be helpful.

I'll try to contact the ranger station in South Park tomorrow and see if they can help us out in any way.

Stay tuned for more updates.

Thank you to all who have stepped up for this.

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
Man really wish I could join as ive been wanting to make a dedicated trip to cleanup some of the ranges in this area..I usually shoot at the one off of deckers. But weekends are tough due to work, theyre also tricky with my wife being pregnant with the 2nd kiddo and due 5/1.

Hope the clean up goes well and some recognition by the forest service is made so they know people are trying to keep these ranges clean in hopes of them staying open.

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
My employer has offered to rent a roll off dumpster and donate it to our club for this event. I will have to check with Dan to see how the paperwork for taxes will work on that. But the biggest problem with this is that the waste company will not allow us to rent a dumpster from them unless we have a official address for them to drop it off at. So I'm trying to figure out if there is a place in Harris Park that will let us use their property to place a dumpster on for the weekend.

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
Ok. New update and plan.

Upon further investigation I have found out from the South Platte Ranger district office that the community of Harris Park is actually planning a cleanup day for this Saturday the 31st. I have a call in with their community center to find out more. I'll update you guys when they call me back. But if anyone is available for this Saturday the 31st at about 9 AM, we can probably join forces with the other folks who are planning on going out there to clean up this mess.
I'm sure that they have made arrangements for disposal of the trash. But I will still bring my trailer regardless.
If this all works out, then we can reassess the need for an additional cleanup day afterwards.

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
I just received a call from the folks at Harris Park.
Looks like they are having their clean up event for this shooting area tomorrow, Saturday 31st.
So I am going to go and help out. Anyone else who would like to join me, even though this is very short notice, may do so. I'll be at the Loaf and Jug gas station at the intersection of 285 and CR 43 at 9 AM.
I have trash bags.
Bring gloves.
Bring something to eat for lunch and stuff to drink. (No alcohol)
There is a subway in this gas station if you want to grab a sandwich.

Thanks in advance.
See you guys out there.

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Drat. I have to pick up the wife and kids from the airport tomorrow. Can not attend. :(

Myredyota

Trail Ready
Thanks for doing this. I wish I could be there to help. When I go up there, I always take trash bags and fill the back of my pickup. It makes me sick that people can haul their crap up there but refuse to take it home. Then the FS puts up signs and within a couple of weeks they are all shot up. I wish they would charge a fee to shoot there. Maybe that would keep the scum away.

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
144d2eeb514ea423d6c5ed5a87b6045a.jpg

We had a great turnout. About 60+ people. We hauled out two trailer loads and about 5 truck bed loads of trash. And I'll bed you if I poked around out there for a little while, I could get another 4-5 bags.

Any ways. It looks a whole lot better.
Huge thanks to all the folks you showed up to help.
From rising sun, it was myself and Wil Morgan.
This was definitely the biggest cleanup event I've ever been a part of.

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Guys, Thanks so much for showing up and representing RS!
That's an incredible trash haul!