Hardcore run this summer?

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Just wondering, since we may have involvement with the Salida Ranger District and Iron Chest this summer, do we want to talk about having a hardcore run this summer? Either Holy Cross or Iron Chest? A lot of us newbs have never run these trails, and I would at least like to ride along/walk those trails just to see them; don't think I want to take the 40 on them the way it sits ;)

Would anybody be interested in planning a "hardcore" run on either of these trails this summer?

Tch2fly

Rising Sun Member
I'd be up for Holy Cross.
I usually run it with some of the Stevinson guys over Labor Day but I think I'd like to do the RS Ouray run this year instead.

I am assuming Iron Chest will be run by some of us (at some point) if we adopt it

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
A lot of us newbs have never run these trails, and I would at least like to ride along/walk those trails just to see them; don't think I want to take the 40 on them the way it sits ;)

x2 - I'd be interested in riding/walking the trail

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I would be happy to lead both, I love them (Cleveland Rock, not so much). Just as happy if someone else wants to lead though.

Iron Chest is not terribly hardcore, kinda like Spring Creek on steroids. Holy Cross is not terribly difficult either, there is one tippy spot that tickles my innards every time. Ex-specially if it is wet. Sliding downhill on a wet diagonal log when already off camber will do that to a boy. :lmao:

Tch2fly

Rising Sun Member
A lot of us newbs have never run these trails, and I would at least like to ride along/walk those trails just to see them; don't think I want to take the 40 on them the way it sits ;)

x2 - I'd be interested in riding/walking the trail

I think you should plan on making the drive. The inital "one-way" section is fun but not overly technical. If it you decide you have had enough you can always take the bail-out and ride from there. More likely you will be having so much fun you won't want to stop.

French Creek is the first real challenge and it is pretty close to the end. I'm looking forward to see it this year; with the snow we have had so far this winter I expect it to be a very different obstacle.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I think I'm going to limit myself to one breakage in any given 12-month stretch; 'course I only made it 7 months between having the truck out of commission this last year; that means if I'm going to make up that time then I have to wait until July '09 to break something again :D

But in all reality I'm hoping my truck will be either under the knife by then - 'twood be sweet if it was back from under the knife, cause then I wouldn't have problems running either one of them! :thumb:

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
the first time I ran Holy Cross I had a hell of a time but I was unlocked and in a j**p. The 2nd time I ran it locked and in a 40 and it was a nice drive in the woods. I hit my door post on the rock that isn't there anymore when crossing French Creek and that was the only issue.

video here: http://www.actionjackson.com/cruiser/videos/2005/2005HolyCross2.wmv

MDH33

Hard Core 4+

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
I will be down for driving all of those. What is the general thinking on dates?

Tch2fly

Rising Sun Member
Thanks for posting the video. :thumb: The 40's made it look easy. :cool:

Nice video but the trail has changed since that was taken. A lot of ATVs take the left side and the resulting erosion is causing the exposed rocks to migrate further into the trail and the areas between the rocks are deeper.

I'm really expecting one of the larger rocks to shift north this spring and that will make it really tight to get past.

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
Holly Cross is almost in my back yard. Subzali, piece of cake in your 40. I've taken the 100 to Frenchman's but not across until I get a t-case skidplade. Did a turntable move in the 40 balanced on the skid plate. We got to the city in 3" of snow with a rear ez-lock. I think it's easier than Chinamans, but that's just me. Anyone intersted in a Vail Area run? August is best for me.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
I'm up for either of those depending on the date. Saturdays work better for me incase anyone is asking ..............Bueller................Bueller???

subzali

Hard Core 4+
We have a pretty busy summer already if you look at the calendar and add the BOWAGWR in July and the Rally in August, which we don't have dates for yet. Not to mention any trail cleanup runs we should take. What is the best time of year to access either of these trails, are there snow issues? Maybe early July (coming on the heels of Rubithon BTW) or early August (close to the Rally)?

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
The way this year's mtn snow is going, there may be some trails that don't open until Labor Day :dunno:

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
I plan on both this summer, HC is my favorite. It got noticably more difficult last summer, who knows with the heavy snow this year what it will look like.
Its a nice drive through the forest, the camping is unbeatable and Cleveland Rock is fun to play on :)

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
I'm in for a Iron Chest\Grizzly Lake run. I will look at dates and try to set up a quick overnighter\day run soon.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
The Iron Chest committee will be totally up for that, I am sure! The Trail Boss certainly is. Great camping in the Four Mile area north of Chinaman's, too, if not the Tincup area.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
We have a pretty busy summer already if you look at the calendar and add the BOWAGWR in July and the Rally in August, which we don't have dates for yet. Not to mention any trail cleanup runs we should take. What is the best time of year to access either of these trails, are there snow issues? Maybe early July (coming on the heels of Rubithon BTW) or early August (close to the Rally)?
Early August for HC would be ideal. You won't have a problem running it. Then we can watch JKimmel do Cleveland.