GX460 vs. TRD 4runner

coax

Hard Core 4+
There is a chance I'll need to pick up a new car before the Rivian SUV becomes available (and also will be doing more towing than anticipated). Interested in folks thoughts between the two above.

Both can/do come with KDSS which would be nice given a mix of highway miles towing and logging roads. Seems like the 4.6 is a newer engine and they both get the same mileage with the 4.6 having a reasonable amount more power. Anything major in terms of difference aside from the nicer interior in the gx460? I'd be looking at current year model subject to whats available.

I'm not familiar with either of these and have never driven them. Will need to do that soon but anything major that would sway you one way or the other?

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
You get a V8 with the GX and it is the Land Cruiser Prado everywhere else in the world. Rachel has a 470 and loves it. We had a V8 4runner years ago and it was fine. test drove a V6 and was underwhelmed

They are coming out with a Hybrid GX supposedly in 2024 and maybe a full electric a few years later Not sure how all that will work. Will be watching for that

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Some people feel the 4Runner rear hatch with the window that rolls down is nice. The door on the 4Runner opens up overhead. The GX has a side swinging door. Not sure which between those is better or worse.

The V6 in the 4Runner is a 4.0L 1GR, which is what the petrol 300 series Land Cruiser (GRJ300) has now, so the tables have kind of turned. I like the engine fine but for towing I would think the V8 would be much preferred.

Toyota has sold a whole lot of trucks with the 4.0L so it can't be that much of a turn off. In the end all you can do is test drive one and judge for yourself.

Last edited:

PhillyB77

I'll just say, when I drive the 4R with the V6 it's sort of underwhelming especially coming up 285. The V8 in the Tundra feels like a rocket ship, but the Tundra gets 10mpg.

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
I agree with everything @DaveInDenver said. I have been considering a gx460 for myself.

White Stripe

Hard Core 4+
The 4runner and gx are the same chassis. One has a v8 and more leather. In my opinion go for the v8. I do like the 4runner rear hatch more. But a v8 makes a suv far more versatile. Afaik the 5.7 is a 4.6 with a stroker crank.

krice118

Trail Ready
Gx460 love the wires. Plenty of power and comfortable

coax

Hard Core 4+
Thanks all! I do like the idea of the v8--really liked the early model 2uz with a 4speed and this newer engine with a 6speed would be super cool. Wish it came with an 80 series tailgate, not a fan of either the single door nor the roof hatch. I don't plan on lifting it in the near future so I imagine if I went with 4runner I'd be bashing my head on the rear hatch quite a bit.

I also can't tell where/how to select the off road package on the GX so I get the tranny cooler. For some reason doesn't pop up on the list of packages yet.

I'm leaning direction of the gx should I need to buy something I think for the engine and the rear door. I just have a 3 hr drive to get to a lexus dealer to test one out :|

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Came across this since I was thinking another thing about V8-vs-V6 would be fuel efficiency but it looks like the two trucks get pretty much the same MPG. The old 4th gen 4Runners that had the V8 option got lower mileage, which was the V8 of course but also that you could only get full time 4WD while the V6 got regular 2WD high in the t-case. The price going from a 4Runner to GX isn't chump change (about +20% to +25%) but it's not like the 4Runner is exactly a cheap entry model anymore.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
We were considering the same choices in 2010 when both first hit the market. After driving both the choice would have been the GX hands down. Diver visibility was the reason. The semi sloped hood of the GX made forward vision so much better as well as every other direction out of the vehicle.

The 4.6 V8 is the clear winner in the mountains as well as for towing. Downside of the rear door is opening it with a trailer attached.

our needs changed and we went a different direction never buying either.

coax

Hard Core 4+
that’s almost exactly our situation. We then shifted towards a tundra but long lead time for them plus 5k up charge actually sent us toward a hybrid highlander.

I had a hard time with both the gx and 4Runner and the age of their engines. Tundra was super sweet but could wait/stomach the cost.

So will make do with a highlander for now and see what the future holds.

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
that’s almost exactly our situation. We then shifted towards a tundra but long lead time for them plus 5k up charge actually sent us toward a hybrid highlander.

I had a hard time with both the gx and 4Runner and the age of their engines. Tundra was super sweet but could wait/stomach the cost.

So will make do with a highlander for now and see what the future holds.
$5k up charge on the Tundra? What was it for?

coax

Hard Core 4+
$5k up charge on the Tundra? What was it for?
General “we have what you want so we’ll charge for it” market adjustment. They are doing for all Toyotas here in Oregon. Some are less than 5k—tundra has huge demand so it’s the most.

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
How are you liking the Highlander? I’m assuming you went with a new model? We bought a 2018 last year and are really happy with it. The new models look really nice though and we kinda wish we would have just ponied up the extra cash for one.