Grade 8 vs. Stainless?

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
"None of which are universally acceptable" is right!

I have to unscrew some bolts tonight. Then screw the bolts back in... :lmao:

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Funny,

One of our students graduated last year and now works at his dream job for Lockheed as a AE designer on the new Orion Vehicle. He is over the fasteners for the entire project, and he said, they get lots of stuff off the shelf at mcmaster.com... wild! :D

That said, I found a "Ultra High Corrosion Resistant Finish" on a socket head bolt that was created for the salt marine enviornment. It is 30% stronger than a grade 8 bolt in the same size. They were about 11 bucks for a box of 25. They look like a silver powder coat or something... pretty cool.

Attachments

• bolts.JPG
    bolts.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 113

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Funny,

One of our students graduated last year and now works at his dream job for Lockheed as a AE designer on the new Orion Vehicle. He is over the fasteners for the entire project, and he said, they get lots of stuff off the shelf at mcmaster.com... wild! :D

That said, I found a "Ultra High Corrosion Resistant Finish" on a socket head bolt that was created for the salt marine enviornment. It is 30% stronger than a grade 8 bolt in the same size. They were about 11 bucks for a box of 25. They look like a silver powder coat or something... pretty cool.

Those are very cool! :thumb:

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Those are very cool! :thumb:

Thanks, I bought a few sizes to use on the trailer, I am going to use these exclusively and nylocks and call it a day.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
yep, to answer a way back questions, all types of stainless are heat treatable to all levels of "hardness" just not as high as some carbon steels.