GR Starter

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
OK. So I put a new re-man GR starter from NAPA in my project 40. When I turn the key I can hear the solenoid click, but the starter doesn't crank. I can crank the engine over with the hand crank (yes, hand crank). I'm using a battery charger on my Optima Red Top in the "start" position. What the heck is my problem?

Possible ground problem. make sure a LG ground strap goes to the engine block from the - battery. I hate to be so obvious, but its a common problem.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Is there 3 hookup wires on the starter? (one power to the battery and two smaller on each side of the large one)

I will not count out the starter either! I used to use a lot of NAPA parts but the last few years the electrical replacement crap is not worth bringing home!

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Is there 3 hookup wires on the starter? (one power to the battery and two smaller on each side of the large one)

I will not count out the starter either! I used to use a lot of NAPA parts but the last few years the electrical replacement crap is not worth bringing home!

There's the big wire from the battery positive and the one covered spade connector, just like the stock starter.

I am grounding battery negative to frame and engine to frame.

I guess I can take the flywheel cover off and see what's happening from there.

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
So I scraped the paint off the frame in two places and the engine where I had my frame-engine ground. Used the di-electric grease on everything. Re-did the grounds. Same result.

Bench tested the used one I got from a guy in AL. The starter gear is supposed to TURN, right? It's popping out, but not turning. The reman one from Napa is doing the same thing. Clicking, but not turning. :eek: :rant:

Oh well, does Toyota sell reman starters? :eek:

wesintl

RS Moderator
yes... call jerry in the morning. ;)

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
So I scraped the paint off the frame in two places and the engine where I had my frame-engine ground. Used the di-electric grease on everything. Re-did the grounds. Same result.

Bench tested the used one I got from a guy in AL. The starter gear is supposed to TURN, right? It's popping out, but not turning. The reman one from Napa is doing the same thing. Clicking, but not turning. :eek: :rant:

Oh well, does Toyota sell reman starters? :eek:

As much as I now dislike NAPA starters it seems odd that both starters have the same symptoms! Sooooo....on your bench test you hooked a jumper cable red on the large terminal on the starter (12:00) then jumped from that terminal to the small terminal at about 9:00 with the ground of the jumper cables clipped on the starter housing? Are you testing this with a battery of sufficient voltage? What happens if you jump between the 12:00 terminal and the 6:00 terminal into the starter?

BTW Toy remans at our discount are often comparable in price to the jobbers!

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Good news! Bench tested the NAPA starter and it worked. Put it back in the cruiser and no-go. Clicks, but doesn't turn the flywheel. Someone suggested shimming the starter, but a thread I read on MUD said they had never had to shim a Toyota starter. I could take the flywheel cover off, I guess, and jumper it to see what's happening. I wonder if the starter gear doesn't match the flywheel? I'm using a 3-speed flywheel. I'll call Jerry or Derek and price a Toyota reman starter out. :rolleyes:

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Good news! Bench tested the NAPA starter and it worked. Put it back in the cruiser and no-go. Clicks, but doesn't turn the flywheel. Someone suggested shimming the starter, but a thread I read on MUD said they had never had to shim a Toyota starter. I could take the flywheel cover off, I guess, and jumper it to see what's happening. I wonder if the starter gear doesn't match the flywheel? I'm using a 3-speed flywheel. I'll call Jerry or Derek and price a Toyota reman starter out. :rolleyes:
If you didn't have proper mesh it will sound horrible or it would lock into the flywheel. Check out your positive cable....something is amiss with your available amperage!

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
If you didn't have proper mesh it will sound horrible or it would lock into the flywheel. Check out your positive cable....something is amiss with your available amperage!

Well, I put the charger/starter directly on the GR starter on the bench and the starter spun when I jumpered it. In the vehicle I connect the charger/starter to the terminals of the Optima Red Top, which I probably bought from you a while back. I've got a large cable going from the pos terminal of the battery to the big terminal on the starter. If it's the battery or the positive cable that might explain why the starter behaves the same whether I jumper it or turn the key. It's a pretty loud click. :rolleyes::confused:

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
UB, as usual, you are the MAN! :bowdown: Swapped a different battery in there and she cranked right over. Woo hoo!! :woot:

Now, what's the best battery at the best price I can put in there? I usually go to Sears for batteries.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
UB, as usual, you are the MAN! :bowdown: Swapped a different battery in there and she cranked right over. Woo hoo!! :woot:

Now, what's the best battery at the best price I can put in there? I usually go to Sears for batteries.

You can buy an electronic charger that will pulse charge the Optima at Sams for less than a new battery costs! Better yet I can bring mine tonight to the meeting and you can use it and see if the Red Top comes back to life.

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
That would be cool, if you don't mind. :D See you tonight.