• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Good fishing spots?

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
I know I’m asking for a lot as good fishing spots are surely well kept secrets, but where would one recommend a guy take his girls once this all blows over and we can do stuff again? It doesn’t necessarily have to be close to Denver as we’d love to make a weekend out of it. Not really looking to fly fish either. Just some good ol bobber in the water type stuff would be great.

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
One of my favorite spots for a long time to camp and fish was this little lake.
Co Rd 198
Westcliffe, CO 81252
38.253108, -105.712786

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
You can still fish! It is permitted on the SHO. The hard part is many who didn't have time are now drowning worms. I caught 3 nice sized Walleye on Boulder Resevoir last week. I bundled up and hit the dam around 5AMish. I tried a week earlier during the day and it was a freaking zoo and super noisey including kids (and dads) skipping rocks. I think i will hit it tomorrow morning again pre-dawn as those Walleye were damn tasty!

Cocarlisle

Hard Core 4+
For kids you cannot beat lake Wellington IMHO
Kind of touristy but they always have fun

It’s cold as it’s a high MTN lake so be carful not sure when it opens

Soda lakes in Bear Creek is cool And close

Go to the lake all the way back to the east
Much more private and better fishing

All water is cold so be careful they don’t fall in

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
This morning wasn’t as productive. Caught a stocker Walleye just before sunrise and a surprise 2 lb small mouth just before I left the lake around 7

rover67

Rising Sun Member
I second walleye on Boulder res. its a fun Morning or evening that yields tasty cheeks.

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
You can do just some regular good old bobber fishing at twin lakes up by leadville. I killed it last summer up there fly fishing. I have been trying to get into fly fishing and the twin lakes is great for practicing casting. There are no trees or bushes around to get hung up on. Just fishing from the bank I caught 10 small to medium sized rainbows and brookies. Of course people will say If you dont have photos it didn't happen. I guess you'll have to just trust me. You'll have some decent success by the pump house on the west end of the lower lake. It's all easy access and can drive up pretty close. Take the SPF 50 for sure cause you'll get smoked by the sun up there. About 10,500 ft of elevation. If you leave early in the morning you can get there in about 2.5 to 3 hours.

Twin Lakes
Colorado 81251
https://maps.app.goo.gl/SY1FstiENAQP8mpx7