• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Goblin Valley camping recommendations

floating_lc

Lifted
I'm taking the family camping and hopefully some light wheeling around Goblin Valley. We've never been before and would love some recommendations on epic dispersed camping spots and/or trails for some light wheeling if anyone has any. Thanks!

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Just to clarify, Goblin Valley itself is a state park. The roads are paved within the park, there's only hiking trails. There is a campground, but it's more for RVs and is paved.

There's BLM dispersed camping right along Goblin Valley Road south of the turn-off from Temple Mountain Rd that is RV and 2WD van friendly, but it's exposed. The views are good if there's no one else around but it's always windy when I've been there.

So how close to it do you expect to be and how much time do you think you'll spend at Goblin Valley and generally? Thinking of Little Wild Horse canyon?

How are you camping? IOW, do you need to accommodate a less-capable trailer or would a sightly more difficult road be doable? There's many options depending on what you're intending to do.

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
@DaveInDenver is right. If you want dispersed camping continue west along temple mtn road past the state park turn off (it'll be on your left). Continue out past the large group campsite about a half mile "into the swell", once beyond you will find many camping areas. I have been lucky enough in the past to find some that have great overlooks to the southwest. The further out you travel along Temple Mtn Rd. the more dispersed you will get. If you are looking for a secluded spot on a Friday evening, it will be more difficult as this area has increased in popularity over the last several years. Good Luck!

floating_lc

Lifted
@DaveInDenver great questions and thanks to you and @Johnny Utah for the thoughtful responses.- we will be rolling solo in my built up FJ80 with an RTT - no trailer and easy setup. I'm definitely willing to work for some epic spots. We'll be rolling into the area Thursday night and will be around through Monday so we'll be looking to move spots from time to time.