• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

gearing??'s

Hey all!

I need to start looking into re-gearing my wagon for the hills you guys have otu there

Currently I'm running 35" BFG MT's with 4.11 gears. I enjoy the overdrive that I get on the flat land out here, but I doubt I will like it much when I'm driving up and down Ute Pass (Woodland Park to Colo Spngs) every day. I don't plan on DDing it forever, but it's going to have to get me around until I can pick something else up.

So my big question is do I go with 4.56's or 4.88's.

I would like to go 4.88 but I'm concerned what it will do to my top end speed. It will still have to get me to the trail and back. But then again if I go 4.88's and I go up in tire size later on I will probably wish I had done 4.88's.

Any opinions?

powderpig

Hard Core 4+
do you have a 4 or 5 speed? this makes a difference. any engine work to generate HP or not. later robbie

powderpig

Hard Core 4+
No worries as it happens alot where people ask for help then forget to include the vechicles info. Hopefully some that have this you set up will speak up. I know Bill Van Beek just regeared his truck to 4.56, but I think he still have 33. He has a 60 will a 2f and 5 speed. He is really happy with this set up. I set a Shawn C with 4.11 and a 5speed(he already had this set up) and he has 33 and again real happy.
With the stock 4 speed the gearing is wider apart and can create some issues up higher, where the 5 speed is a closer ratio and a lower first.
Any how I hope some others will speek up to help you out. Later robbie

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Lack of first-hand knowledge has never stopped me from posting before, so why start now... :D I say if you're convinced 35's is as big as you ever want to go then 4:56 is the way to go. If you think you may want to go bigger some day then do 4:88's. If you had the 5 speed then I'd say go for 4:88's no matter what.

Do you have lockers? When you regear you essentially get the locker install for free, so it's a good idea to do it all at once! hth..

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
If you threw some 33's on your truck now you will see what 4:56's would be like. 4:88's would be like 31's on your truck now, give or take a few R's. Without an overdrive 88's might be a little annoying on the highway if your in a hurry but you would get used to it. If you move up to a true 35" tire or 36's or even 37's you'll wish you went with 88's but if normal 35's is what the truck will stay at and it will be 70% on road then 56's probably will be low enough.
Clear as mud? :confused:
Another factor to look at is you do have gear box options for lower gears in the FJ-60. If you decide to be more trail worthy swapping in lower T-case gearing options with the 4:56's will give you roadability and crawling solutions! :bowdown:

Hope I didn't get you in trouble with the :Princess: with that last option.... :eek:

Man Jerk said:
Hey all!

I need to start looking into re-gearing my wagon for the hills you guys have otu there

Currently I'm running 35" BFG MT's with 4.11 gears. I enjoy the overdrive that I get on the flat land out here, but I doubt I will like it much when I'm driving up and down Ute Pass (Woodland Park to Colo Spngs) every day. I don't plan on DDing it forever, but it's going to have to get me around until I can pick something else up.

So my big question is do I go with 4.56's or 4.88's.

I would like to go 4.88 but I'm concerned what it will do to my top end speed. It will still have to get me to the trail and back. But then again if I go 4.88's and I go up in tire size later on I will probably wish I had done 4.88's.

Any opinions?

My main focus with this question is on road, specifically through the mountains. I know my wagon will be a dog on steep grades now. I even had trouble in the black hills. I know part of that is carb tuning tho. I have an aussie in the rear and an ARB up front. I will be soon putting in a doubler so I am not concerned about trail gearing. I would say that yes, I will be going to 36" or 37" tires once I do a spring over, but it may be well over a year before I get that done.

I'm really just looking for feedback from those who are used to the mtn passes and such. Thank you for the input!

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Man Jerk said:
My main focus with this question is on road, specifically through the mountains. I know my wagon will be a dog on steep grades now. I even had trouble in the black hills. I know part of that is carb tuning tho. I have an aussie in the rear and an ARB up front. I will be soon putting in a doubler so I am not concerned about trail gearing. I would say that yes, I will be going to 36" or 37" tires once I do a spring over, but it may be well over a year before I get that done.

I'm really just looking for feedback from those who are used to the mtn passes and such. Thank you for the input!

My previous 62 had 4:11's a doubler and V8 with 35MTR's. It had great off road gearing and here in the flats it was great. The hills would pull it down and in that truck 56's would have been perfect!

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
I like my setup...

For my uses I really like my 4.11,33's setup - With the H55F, it's quite drivable on/off road.

If I were on 35's I bet I'd want at least the 4.56's. AND...I would agree with Nakman - if you're re-gearing...do lockers, front knuckle re-build and that kind of stuff if you're already in there...

FJBen

I've got a fresh 2F (~10K miles) stock 4 speed (H41 sitting on the garage floor...hopefully soon) 4.11's and 35" BFG's all under my highly aerodynamic 55. :D

On the interstate (flattish) I can run 75+ 2800 rpms, up the hills not soo much. It's not unbearable, but it's slow. :p I think 4.88's would be a lot to run on the highway. Too many RPM's.

Personally I would go with 4.56's if you are staying at 35's and a 4 speed. Above that I would go to 4.88's.