• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

GAIA GPS

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Hey Phillip, not to infringe in your setup, but why the limited number of people? If this is going to be a webinar, and space is virtual, why keep the numbers low? Is it due to limitations of the software? If so, I’d be glad to set up something for you through Skype using my work account.

I’m definitely interested in being a part of this

Hey Nick!

So I'd like to be able to limit the number of people so people have more of a opportunity to ask questions, and have more of a discussion as we go through things. I suppose it's a quality over quantity type of thing. @DaveInDenver as far as recording it goes, probably not this time, I'll probably see how it goes and wait to do one that I feel has all the kinks worked out. Glad for feedback, I'm not trying to push anyone out, I just want to make this worth wild for those attending.

I'm curious about other peoples thought process on this and would be glad for feedback. I'm willing to change things up a little bit if people want. I wasn't expecting so many people to be interested so feedback is welcome on this and I can change things.

R,

Phillip

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
Hey Nick!

So I'd like to be able to limit the number of people so people have more of a opportunity to ask questions, and have more of a discussion as we go through things. I suppose it's a quality over quantity type of thing. @DaveInDenver as far as recording it goes, probably not this time, I'll probably see how it goes and wait to do one that I feel has all the kinks worked out. Glad for feedback, I'm not trying to push anyone out, I just want to make this worth wild for those attending.

I'm curious about other peoples thought process on this and would be glad for feedback. I'm willing to change things up a little bit if people want. I wasn't expecting so many people to be interested so feedback is welcome on this and I can change things.

R,

Phillip
I can respect that. I’d definitely be down though if you decide to open it up to a few more folks.

ChewBaca

Rising Sun Member
I'm interested as well.

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I can respect that. I’d definitely be down though if you decide to open it up to a few more folks.
We’ve more than enough for a second go around! Looks like we are up to 4 people for a another group. What times and dates work well for you. I’ll post another one up.

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
OK guys! We were going to give this out to people attending cruise moab this year but since it's been canceled I'll move it here. This will give you 6 months for free which is a great deal. Here is the link:

https://www.gaiagps.com/premium/?PROMO=CRUISEMOAB

I suggest that if you've never used GAIA that you sign up before the class and you can mess around with things while we go through things in class. I'll post the link above as well.

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Hey Guys! I'll see the 8 guys that signed up tonight at 6PM!

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Hey guys! I’m not going to be able to make this. My father in law is here on a surprise trip to bid a job. We’re hanging with him tonight. Hopefully someone can enjoy my spot. Sorry for the late notice.

DanTheMan

Rising Sun Member
I'm going to have to back out of this one for tonight Phillip, sorry, hopefully someone on the waiting list can take my spot. I'm definitely looking forward to your next one though!

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
Awe man! I had it set for 7pm. I would have missed anyway as I was working till 6:30. I was really looking forward to this.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Hey Phillip, thanks for putting this on, it was nice to geek out on maps for a bit (who the heck doesn't like that?!). Super fun and informative, thanks for doing it for the club.

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
Thanks for doing this! Even though I joined late I still learned a few things.

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
I really appreciated the event as well. I definitely learned more about Gaia. Even is I kept confusing Gaia with Avenza from Jackson's presentation... Thanks for your time and knowledge Phil!

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Chris gives a great review of Gia GPS on his youtub channel Venture4wd

Chris's Gia review

I still prefer maps.

:beer::beer:

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
i'd love to join if there is another one. Especially with their new CarPlay integration.

DanTheMan

Rising Sun Member
I've got a random question: I'm trying to view the "NatGeo Trails Illustrated" layer on the app but its not loading.... if I use the Gaia GPS website that layer loads fine. Help...

Last edited:

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
Is it available for the area that you are looking at? It will default to the normal Gaia map if the Nat Geo map isn't available.

DanTheMan

Rising Sun Member
It is available for the area I'm trying to look at.

Here's what I see on the app with that map layer "applied":

Screenshot_20200922-193612_Gaia GPS.jpg

Screenshot_20200922-193557_Gaia GPS.jpg

And here's what I see on the website with the same map layer applied:

Screenshot_20200922-194046_Chrome.jpg

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
@DanTheMan , Change the layer orders up. Start with the fewest number of maps active and than add from there. I think you have a layer issue.

DanTheMan

Rising Sun Member
@3rdGen4R, I don't think it's that. I just turned all the other layers off besides the Gaia default and the NatGeo Trails Illustrated and it's still not showing up on the app...