• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Gaia GPS Collaboration Thread

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
I think this is the appropriate place to put this but please move it, administrators, if it should go somewhere else.

One of the intents of the Gaia GPS workshop today was to get the ongoing conversation started on how to collectively learn to master this software for our awesome hobby. This will be where we can post routes created in Gaia and also tracks collected while being out on our runs. Additionally, we can also use this thread to post tips, tricks and other nuggets of info to help us all get better.

The first route I will post is the one Matt Farr (@Hulk) created on the fly using my premium account. It's important to note that it was created in premium because that is how you get access to the various layers that was used such as MVUM.

The file is posted up and I extend the offer to anyone using Gaia to upload it into Gaia and see if you can see it. Post up how it goes and we'll discuss further.

Have fun!

Attachments

• slaughterhouse-test-route.gpx
    63.3 KB · Views: 237

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
As a refresher, the way I know how to upload a file to Gaia is as follows.

1. Save the .gpx file to your computer
2. Go into Gaia and select the drop down menu from your profile name
3. Select upload
4. Use the "Select a file" section on the screen

Capture.PNG

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Do we have to sign up for Gaia to access these data? I wonder how many people have adopted Gaia and tablets. I still run a Garmin device personally (e.g. mostly use Google Earth Pro + Basecamp) and have thus far successfully avoided buying a tablet and I'm running the same iPhone 5 for many years (which is useless being out of memory and super slow). As long as a free Gaia account is sufficient, GPX and KMZ are universal.

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
That's something we were trying to figure out. You don't have to pay for the premium access to use Gaia and we were wondering if one would be able to see this route in the free version. We thought that maybe the route would overlay on the free layers even though it was created with the MVUM layer.

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I do have a free Gaia account and MVUMs are not available. FWIW, you can get MVUMs free through Avenza or import them into Google Earth Pro. That what I do, create pins (waypoints) and a path (track) using Google Earth with either the MVUM or Topo map as a reference over the satellite image, which I save as a KMZ to bring into Basecamp.

I suspect the base maps or overlays wouldn't matter if you're importing & exporting the track and waypoints. When you do a route you'd probably need to use the same base map with the same routable features. In any case using the MVUM would I think be a GeoPDF reference and any routing would be relative to the base map you're using.

Last edited:

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
Not sure. thanks for the links to the other sites. I'm definitely going to explore all of the other options with a focus on how they compare to Gaia.

FJCDan

Rising Sun Member
Down loaded to my phone with the free android app, came right up. The only thing is with the free versions you only get it in the Gaia topo layer version which isn't very detailed. Definitely looking at possible upgrade. By the way Thanks for setting this up and doing the class Nick certainly helped with just getting started. I need to clear out some unused apps from the IPad and try it on that. Dan

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
No problem! This is going to be great and we’ll all be like Louis and Clark before you know it!

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
Ok, I just figured a few things out so I thought I would share.

1. USFS CalTopo layer is the only layer I've been able to get the snap to route feature to work on for long distance off-road routes. The MVUM layer works also, but the denoted routes don't tie into the rest of the areas as cohesively.
2. When using the snap to route feature between way points, I experimented with how far I could go between them. If you look at the .gpx file I uploaded in the TBP Planning Thread, you'll see that I started with way points fairly close and then was able to spread them out a bit more. I'm not sure where the sweet spot is but if you go to far apart, it will just draw a straight line.
3. The snap to route feature can be a little finicky. Sometimes it wouldn't route but rather draw a straight line in between way points. When this happened, I would delete the most recent way point and try again. The overlay isn't always exact so I would just keep trying until the software recognized the trail on the map and automatically route it.

I hope this helps!

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Well, just inherited an Android device. Loaded APRSdroid OSM (so it's offline maps) and Oruxmaps (which displays Garmin IMG format, so that's very cool). Installed Backcountry Navigator Pro that we had and got it connected to APRSdroid.

But no go on Gaia and Avenza maps, apparently Android 4.4.4 is too old and Google won't let them install. That's a bummer. Need to see if I can find older versions that will work.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
GAIA doesnt work with APRSDroid. Backcountry navigator is the only Droid app I have found that integrates with it

Other than that, real happy with the app

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I probably wasn't clear, Gaia (and Avenza it seems) won't even install on my Droid Maxx. Google says the device isn't compatible. I'm looking for a work around to install the APKs manually. It's got Android 4.4.4 and that should be sufficient, at least for Gaia.

ETA: Got it installed using a backdoor method. Never could figure out the hang up but I think it has to do with Google Play Services being out of sync. I dunno. Either way it looks like you have to pay $19.99/year to download maps and use it offline. Is that the case?

Last edited:

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
I probably wasn't clear, Gaia (and Avenza it seems) won't even install on my Droid Maxx. Google says the device isn't compatible. I'm looking for a work around to install the APKs manually. It's got Android 4.4.4 and that should be sufficient, at least for Gaia.

ETA: Got it installed using a backdoor method. Never could figure out the hang up but I think it has to do with Google Play Services being out of sync. I dunno. Either way it looks like you have to pay $19.99/year to download maps and use it offline. Is that the case?

As I understand it, you should be able to use their preloaded layers in offline mode. The only layers you have to pay for are the others that they offer. (i.e. - BLM, USFS, etc.)

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
The more I get into this, the more I'm liking it and it's worth it for me to pay for the annual fee.

However, I've recently stumbled upon this thread https://andrewskurka.com/2015/backpacking-topographical-maps-types-sources-formats/ and will be practicing with his technique of printing 7.5 minute quads on 11x17 paper. This will be a part of my pre-trip planning and prep phase but will take considerably longer than planning the same route using Gaia. That is the real appeal to me for Gaia as i can use the same maps electronically and plan a multi-state trip all in one sitting without having to find, print, or collect the same information via hard copy.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
LOL. I only just started using GPS in earnest a couple of years ago and it's primarily because of APRS. As a result of holding out we have file boxes full of Trails Illustrated maps, USGS quads, USFS maps, Latitude 40 maps and all kinds of guidebooks.

The advantage of GPS to me is speed enroute (so primarily finding your coordinates fast without orienting) and leaving breadcrumbs. Not so much needing it as primary routing.

For example this is what I'm working with planning for April...

IMG_1047_mid.jpg

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
As I understand it, you should be able to use their preloaded layers in offline mode. The only layers you have to pay for are the others that they offer. (i.e. - BLM, USFS, etc.)
This is the message I get using Gaia version 7.1.5 on Android. When I do "Create" (the circled + symbol) and select "Download Map" it directs me to go to Gaia and select either a Basic or Premium Membership. Cheapskates can only use online maps it seems.

Built up too many maps for my Garmin devices to deal with switching now. :-/

Screenshot_2019-02-04-12-03-05_mid.jpg

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
LOL. I only just started using GPS in earnest a couple of years ago and it's primarily because of APRS. As a result of holding out we have file boxes full of Trails Illustrated maps, USGS quads, USFS maps, Latitude 40 maps and all kinds of guidebooks.

The advantage of GPS to me is speed enroute (so primarily finding your coordinates fast without orienting) and leaving breadcrumbs. Not so much needing it as primary routing.

For example this is what I'm working with planning for April...

View attachment 77811

I would LOVE to be sporting all of that. But to get there from scratch will cost me at least 3 or 4 years worth of Gaia membership. (I'll still get there some day)

This is the message I get using Gaia version 7.1.5 on Android. When I do "Create" (the circled + symbol) and select "Download Map" it directs me to go to Gaia and select either a Basic or Premium Membership. Cheapskates can only use online maps it seems.

Built up too many maps for my Garmin devices to deal with switching now. :-/

View attachment 77812

Well that sucks!