• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

FZJ80 y-pipe exhaust failure

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Well, this happened.

IMG_1651.jpeg

Nemo

Trail Ready
No advice here but that would be a first to me. Wheeling?

But to add some value here, don't do what I did and try cheap first. Ended up costing me more money trying anything other than OEM for this one. At the end I had to go and buy the expensive OEM after spending 1000's of dollars trying to make the aftermarket approach work.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Not sure this is available anymore from Toyota.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
@Nemo I think it's just 26 years old and was due for replacement. I've been out on the trail a bunch lately, so maybe that accelerated the deterioration.

I didn't realize the Y-pipe is considered part of the front catalytic converter. That makes it $$$ to replace. Options so far:

Toyota OEM part 1740166090
https://parts.mariettatoyota.com/p/63059851/1740166090.html
$1600

Magnaflow - MAG-23120
Amazon product
$513 but not CARB compliant?

Magnaflow 447103
Amazon product
$1000 - CARB compliant

I'll probably take it over to AA and let Scott & his team work their magic. Maybe they can weld it up.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Poop. I think these days you will have to get the CARB-compliant version. Scott may be able to make a temporary fix but it's not going to be long for this world at this point I think.

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
Wasn't there a guy selling that part recently on Craigslist? Also, I think a competent exhaust shop can slip some tubing over that, hammer it to shape, and weld around it. Thats what it looks like someone did to mine. It works fine and passes emissions.

1663601442463.png

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Poop. I think these days you will have to get the CARB-compliant version. Scott may be able to make a temporary fix but it's not going to be long for this world at this point I think.
OEM or CARB

Nemo

Trail Ready
@Nemo I think it's just 26 years old and was due for replacement. I've been out on the trail a bunch lately, so maybe that accelerated the deterioration.

I didn't realize the Y-pipe is considered part of the front catalytic converter. That makes it $$$ to replace. Options so far:

Toyota OEM part 1740166090
https://parts.mariettatoyota.com/p/63059851/1740166090.html
$1600

Magnaflow - MAG-23120
Amazon product
$513 but not CARB compliant?

Magnaflow 447103
Amazon product
$1000 - CARB compliant

I'll probably take it over to AA and let Scott & his team work their magic. Maybe they can weld it up.

That Magnaflow CARB one is the one I tried first. It never and I mean never lined up right to the Header. It would be good for about 2-3 months (driving based) and eventually somehow would fail. I took it to Bud's multiple times thinking they were incompetent.

Finally bit the bullet and went OEM. 2+ years now and no issues.

Still have no idea how that Magnaflow would work for a period of time and then go poop.

wesintl

RS Moderator
scotty can fix you up. I thought i heard it leaking on the Triple. sorry for not alerting you sooner.

Last edited:

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
Davico is another option. reviews are rare, but they appear to also have fitment issues, but for $250 worth a try

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
You can bring it in and we can attempt to weld it back together for you. I've done it on my truck. Just an option.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
You can bring it in and we can attempt to weld it back together for you. I've done it on my truck. Just an option.

It's actually at AA today. I'll remember to call you the next time. Thanks, Travis!

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
It's actually at AA today. I'll remember to call you the next time. Thanks, Travis!
That's probably the best option.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
AA cut out the broken section and welded in new steel. It's not going to last another decade but it's way quieter than when I drove it in.

IMG_1713.jpeg