• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

FZJ80 starting woes

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
@Inukshuk, alternative to the Toyota parts is buying the Sumitomo components directly.

Sumitomo 6189-0413 = Toyota 90980-11400

Or

The second one from Ballenger is a whole kit, connector, terminal, cavity plugs for $7.49.

The Toyota repair pigtail already has the terminal and seal crimped on but would require a wire splice elsewhere. Ideal for keeping in your trail spares bag.

Doing the seal splice takes a set of crimpers, so Toyota offers the repair pigtails. I happen to have the set of crimpers to do Yazaki/Sumitomo/Tyco/Molex sealed plugs like this and happy to offer them for pigtails or harness repairs.

Last edited:

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
Diehard Platinum AGM and it’s at 12.24V with the vehicle off right now.

Is 12.24v considered good/fully charged for an AGM?

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Diehard Platinum AGM and it’s at 12.24V with the vehicle off right now.

Is 12.24v considered good/fully charged for an AGM?
Not generally if it's come off a charger recently and gone through a rest. You'd ideal like to see higher with an open circuit and no load. But what's more important is watching the voltage during cranking. If the battery shows 12.8V but sags excessively under heavy load it's still bad.

Screen Shot 2023-07-19 at 9.36.33 AM.png

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
i had similar issue with my Diehard AGM. If the battery does not sit at 12.6v, i would experience your issue. I always just carried a battery booster because I knew it would happen here and there. i have not had the issue with a new battery, and removing my second battery. The dual battery setup seemed to reduce the life of my main battery. As stated...no issues since removing the 2nd battery and getting a new AGM.

Last edited: