Front aussie locker?

I ordered an aussie locker for my rear last night and I'm wondering If I just shouldn't go ahead and get one for the front too. I started sifting through the 10k posts on mud about it and the consensus seems to be save your money till you can afford a selectable locker. First that's way out of my price range and will be for a long time. The reason most given is so you can unlock to make tight turns on the trail. See If you can follow my reasoning. I got my twin sticks working pretty respecatably. Couldn't I just shift to 2low and accomplish the same thing? Second I guess you don't want it locking on the road, but wouldn't unlocking the hubs on the road effectively dissable it? Anyone tried a similar setup? Words of advice, damnation? The price is awful attractive.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I wouldn't do it. For wheeling on rocks you'd get a good performance boost and the limitations would be fairly easily overcome, like you said either with 2L or one tire being up in the air anyway.. but it's those times when you really need 4WD like driving up 285 in a bunch of snow and you're trying to get home and luckily the kid is sleeping but the wife is freaking out and there are Subarus sliding around you everywhere.. ultra sketchy. Textbook sacrifice of street performance & drivability to get more trail capability, and a move in the wrong direction. we'll strap you up whatver you can't do open in front on the the trail.. but stay out of the ditch by the highway. JMHO, fwiw.. ;)

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
Do it, you won't regret it. (as long as you don't want to use 4WD on the street)

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
There are times you don't want the front locked even when wheeling. I remember lots of threads in the 40's section on Mud. I would do some searching there.

Well,

You guys make good points. I do plan on using it as a daily driver in the near future. One of my vehicles is going away soon and that is going to leave me with the 40. I guess it would be more prudent spending the money unscrewing my worn out steering. Not near as sexy though.:rolleyes:

wesintl

RS Moderator
Probably for your set up I wouldn't do it. There haven't been any places I haven't been able to go with ~31-33's and a rear locker(well, I don't mind winching or taking a strap either). I don't think i've thought about a front locker much at all on my 70 even though I'd like one.

I would spend that money on a power steering setup.

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
My favorite setup was my '67 FJ40. I put Lock Rites in both front and rear. Most of the time I ran in 2WD, with the rear locker there of course. When I needed the front I'd pop it into 4WD with the vacuum switch on the dash. I got this from Uncle Ben as this was how he had is 64 set up. Damn, I miss that '67 FJ40. :bawl:

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
if 2 low will satisfy you in high traction, then do it.

Lock it up! Engage one hub when snow driving.

I like driving my 40 locked up in the snow, it just wants to go straight :)