• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Friday afternoon music

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Last edited:

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
Not sure how this thread works but here's a song I've clicked repeat on a few times today :)

I've been subscribed to this German Couple's youtube channel where they do metal covers. They also bring in a variety of guest singer/musicians to switch it up on some songs; its hit or miss for me but they are really talented all around. I think this is a pretty awesome cover.

Running Sherpa

Brand New
Appears, you guys are having a great conversation here!!!
New to the group as of today; figured to engage in some dialogue.
Living in Festus, south of STL (along I-55)
*(Yep...I get it!!! So here it goes:
Seckman Elementary, Seckman Jr. High, Fox Jr. High, Fox High and Hillsboro Class of '91)

Once employed by the URGE, as a Stage Tech (Drums, Guitars, Bass, Horns tech) during the 1996 Receiving the Gift of Flavor tour)
We opened for 311, NO DOUBT, SUPER 8, FISHBONE, RUN D.M.C., VOODOO GLOW SKULLS, VIOLENT FEMMES, TWO SKINNY J's, during that tour.
Even played RED ROCKS show (opened for Michael Franti SPEARHEAD and 31) 311 recorded LIVE the " Enlarged to Show Detail" video. That place was Rockin'!

Attachments

• 61UDwHZh0PL._SL1500_.jpg
    61UDwHZh0PL._SL1500_.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 108

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
Appears, you guys are having a great conversation here!!!
New to the group as of today; figured to engage in some dialogue.
Living in Festus, south of STL (along I-55)
*(Yep...I get it!!! So here it goes:
Seckman Elementary, Seckman Jr. High, Fox Jr. High, Fox High and Hillsboro Class of '91)

Once employed by the URGE, as a Stage Tech (Drums, Guitars, Bass, Horns tech) during the 1996 Receiving the Gift of Flavor tour)
We opened for 311, NO DOUBT, SUPER 8, FISHBONE, RUN D.M.C., VOODOO GLOW SKULLS, VIOLENT FEMMES, TWO SKINNY J's, during that tour.
Even played RED ROCKS show (opened for Michael Franti SPEARHEAD and 31) 311 recorded LIVE the " Enlarged to Show Detail" video. That place was Rockin'!
My wife grew up in Kirkwood, off 44 & 270 in STL. She refers to that area as "West County". Cool history man, I bet those tours were fun .... or maybe "fun" haha. Welcome.

Running Sherpa

Brand New
My wife grew up in Kirkwood, off 44 & 270 in STL. She refers to that area as "West County". Cool history man, I bet those tours were fun .... or maybe "fun" haha. Welcome.
Thank you, friend!
😎 I'm still good friends with the URGE still to this day. Steve Ewing has his (3) HOT DOG restaurants,Jerry Jost and John Pessoni are doing the El Monstero (Pink Floyd" tribute and JOE DIRT gigs, John has been involved in the 2112 RUSH tribute gigs.

I appreciate your kindness.
Thank you!😎

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
Thank you, friend!
😎 I'm still good friends with the URGE still to this day. Steve Ewing has his (3) HOT DOG restaurants,Jerry Jost and John Pessoni are doing the El Monstero (Pink Floyd" tribute and JOE DIRT gigs, John has been involved in the 2112 RUSH tribute gigs.

I appreciate your kindness.
Thank you!😎
Make an intro post in General Chit Chat. Tell us about your truck and all that.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Speaking of dad bands went to see Big Head Todd and the Monsters last night at the Mesa Theater here in GJ.

Question: How cool that was to be in a room with 800 people (that's sold out) for a band that routinely fills Red Rocks?

Answer: Very

What's even better was it almost got in under my $20 rule. That being years ago, back about 1990, my music circle has a standing rule that we wouldn't pay more than $10 to see a band. That rule was of course conditional because even then some bands would cost more but it had to meet a simple majority vote to break when choosing a night's club.

Keep in mind this was when even Son Volt or WIlco were $12 while Eric Clapton was $28 or U2 was $33 and Paul McCartney was $36 at Busch Stadium, so $10 really meant something. Like Mike Watt was $8.25 and The Band Later Named Foo Fighters was $8.

Later the rule had to be amended to $20 because of Ticket Bastard's fees even on day-of sales being imposed as they consumed ticketing at all the venues and of course inflation. But it's a rule I still try to hold to. If I have an evening and someone's playing in town should their ticket be under $20 I'll almost definitely take a risk.

I've almost never been let down by this rule. It seems that to keep a ticket price down the band usually punts on fancy theatrical nonsense and just plays music. In this case BHTM cost $29 with fees and the show was straight up good. No opening band and just one encore so they must have played to a price point...

Last edited:

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
Courtney Barnett
"Pedestrian At Best"
Sometimes I Sit And Think, And Sometimes I Just Sit (2015)

Her new record rocks. Keep it out of the sun and play it loud.

Just heard this on my music station and really liked it.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
They used to play that Meatloaf video before the midnight showing of The Rocky Horror Picture Show at the Varsity Theatre (RIP) in University City, Missouri. I had a group of high school friends who all would drive up there to see the midnight show on a frequent basis. They also used to play these Tim Curry videos before the main feature:

Kshe-sticker.jpeg

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
You know @Hulk that Meat Loaf's duet on "Paradise" is with Ellen Foley, who's from St. Louis? She's a fairly accomplished performer and definitely has a good voice.

But that's not her in the video, rather Karla De Vito...

And further, did you know Ellen Foley's backing band on her album Spirit of St. Louis was none other than The Clash?

Last edited:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Damn, Dave! I'm listening to some Ellen Foley now.

I'd forgotten about the hot scene with Karla De Vito and Meatloaf in the video. Used to love that as a teenager.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Oh, BTW, I remember Rocky Horror at the Varsity but in all honesty I wasn't a regular. There was a group in high school that did go all the time.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
@Hulk @DaveInDenver I went to the Tivoli Theater in U-City to see RHPS.
When would that have been? It's possible that my memory is bad because at some point the Varsity became the new Vintage Vinyl location but since I was at SEMO at the time I really don't remember exactly when. It was in the little store when I left for Cape and was in the big store when I came back 5 years later.

Like I say, I wasn't a regular at RHPS and it would have been the late 80s when I was in high school. Pretty sure the Varsity closed in my senior year (1988-1989).

I think this video was made in 1978. Look closely to the who that is at 1:24...

Last edited:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Varsity closed in 1988 according to the Intertubes. I was living in Chicago by then.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
When would that have been? It's possible that my memory is bad because at some point the Varsity became the new Vintage Vinyl location but since I was at SEMO at the time I really don't remember exactly when. It was in the little store when I left for Cape and was in the big store when I came back 5 years later.

Like I say, I wasn't a regular at RHPS and it would have been the late 80s when I was in high school. Pretty sure the Varsity closed in my senior year (1988-1989).

I think this video was made in 1978. Look closely to the who that is at 1:24...

Early mid 90’s.