Friday afternoon music

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru

"He War"
Cat Power
You Are Free

She got Dave Grohl, Eddie Vetter, Warren Ellis (a Bad Seed backing up Nick Cave) to play with her on the record, although it's only D.G. on drums in this case. Pretty sure it's about a relationship. If it has a deeper meaning I'll be darned if I've ever figured it out. I've never seen Cat Power live but would I think.

Last edited:

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
RIP Dusty Hill

Fisher67

Rising Sun Member

just heard the AC/DC version this morning and it reminded me of another version. Finland is the Western Slope of Scandinavia. I also get the sense that you could probably do a solid axle conversion in that barn🙈

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Official summer jam of 2021.

Now that is the point of this thread.

ETA: Appears they have only the single to download and no album on physical media or virtual. They are UK band that's touring....in the UK. :-/

The song (maybe album eventually?) was produced by Jon McMullen, who also produces Hurray for the Riff Raff, Plastic Mermaids, The Champs, Fenne Lily, Fionn Regan, 77:78/The Bees and several other bands/artists.

Last edited:

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
on this day in 1984 Iron Maiden dropped their 5th studio album
Side note, Today in 2021 IM dropped their 17th studio album Senjutsu

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
@DaveInDenver For sure. I was just listening to Kim Deal’s project The Amps a few days ago. And Ohio Players could write a damn hit. Ages ago I worked at a recording studio in Dayton that had recorded all three of these bands before!

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
@DaveInDenver Tons of good stuff out of Dayton to go around! GBV is just very close to my heart. Brainiac was another favorite of mine.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I’m back on a kick with Dayton Ohio’s finest, Guided by Voices, this week.

Fun fact: Bobby Bare Jr. is now in GBV. He's one of my favorite artists of all time. Here he is on Tiny Desk:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru

"If That's Alright"
Still Feel Gone
Uncle Tupelo

I was 19 years and 51 weeks old when this album came out on September 17, 1991 (which was a Tuesday). I remember this useless fact down to the minute because I was exactly 20 years old when I bought it 7 days later with some money burning a hole in the breast pocket of my flannel shirt (probably).

Do the math in your head real quick and it'll make sense why.

I was at the time a student at Southeast Missouri State Univ in beautiful Cape Girardeau, MO. We had this little hole-in-the-wall record store downtown where I bought it. If you're a Simpson's fan, the dude who owned the place was just like the comic book guy. I mean exact same demeanor and physique.

"Worst record ever."

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru

"Sonic Reducer"
Dead Boys
Taped live at CBGB in 1977

Dialogue from the pretty much mediocre 2013 film CBGB. The movie had its moments.

Genya Ravan : So, they vomit, they drop trow, they slash themselves, they bleed, they hang themselves, and that's just on stage.
Hilly Kristal : I think their on-stage antics are evidence of commitment.
Genya Ravan : Hilly, I don't want to produce a shit album for a flash in the pan band.
Hilly Kristal : Fine, I'll find somebody else.
Genya Ravan : We're gonna need money.
Hilly Kristal : Yep.
Genya Ravan : And we're gonna need to take 'em out on the road.
Hilly Kristal : Yep.
Genya Ravan : Cheetah doesn't trust me.
Hilly Kristal : Cheetah takes too many drugs.

RDub

Years ago when I lived in CA my climbing partner and I would crank this song up at full volume in the car cassette player before a big lead at Joshua Tree. Awesome brain numbing motivator. Thanks, Dave!

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
Speaking of Dead Boys ... been listening to Stiv Bators' one and only solo record recently. I think I like it better than Dead Boys 🤷‍♂️

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
Always liked the Plimsouls version of this song better. I'm kind of a sucker for the exact point where Rickenbacker guitars and punk meet, though. Kind of wish I hadn't sold mine last year when I was furloughed.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Always liked the Plimsouls version of this song better. I'm kind of a sucker for the exact point where Rickenbacker guitars and punk meet, though. Kind of wish I hadn't sold mine last year when I was furloughed.
It's actually a different song. I had something else in mind (deleted the post).

Stiv's version was written by Frank Secich (of Blue Ash). He actually commented on the video, which is pretty cool.