• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Friday afternoon music

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Overland® VW is totally punk rock.

185741294_10165624033700284_3673937448582382383_n_mid.jpg

index.jpg

"Corona"
Double Nickels On The Dime (1984)
The Minutemen

Last edited:

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I've been listening to Combat Rock today since it was released today in 1982

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I've been listening to Combat Rock today since it was released today in 1982

Also released on May 14:
1969 - Everyone Knows This Is Nowhere (Neil Young)
1991 - Sailing the Seas of Cheese (Primus)
2002 - Maladroit (Weezer)

Some people born today:
Bob Johnson in 1932 (famous producer)
Jack Bruce in 1943 (Cream, etc.)
David Byrne in 1952 (Talking Heads)
Ian Astbury in 1962 (The Cult)

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Wait for it ...

F'n yeah, Max Middleton.

I was incredibly lucky to see Jeff Beck play with Stevie Ray Vaughan in 1989 about two weeks after my 18th birthday. It was on this tour, Fire Meets Fury.

"Going Down" is a cover that almost everyone eventually plays, originally written by Don Nix of the Alabama State Troupers, John Mayall, etc.

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
Jamming out and dreaming of the weekend. Only a few hours to go.

Anyone hitting the trails tomorrow? This is actually one of my favorite albums for cruising around solo.

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
And to keep it weird .... I listened to this record all summer when I was 19, 2002. It was hot that summer, I was a punk kid with no job and still smoked grass back then. I’d drive to the park listening to this most days and go for a dip at a swimming hole in the creek. This became my theme music. Monster drummer with lots of looped bleeps and bloops. Released by Touch & Go Records, recorded at Electrical Audio in Chicago by Steve Albini - maybe either of those mean something to whomever is reading this.

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
So I just want to make sure it's still hip to be square? Not sure if anyone has discussed this topic since 1984?

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Just try and not to hum along. They played it between early innings at tonight's JUCO championship game and maybe now it's in your head, too.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru

"Landslide"

"Take Me Home, Country Roads"

The Petersens

Gotta love family bands. Four siblings, their mom and dad and a family friend on dobro. And anyone who says there's absolutely nothing good about Branson, MO, is a little wrong. The Petersens play 3 days a week at the Little Opry. Don't forget to tip your waiter or waitress.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Saw a band up from Lubbock, TX, called Pecos and the Rooftops last night at the Mesa. Live music >> not live music.

They seemed to building a following with the kids. They were enthusiastic for sure and the crowd loves them. Just couldn't get in sync with Peco's voice. Hard to describe, like Jay Farrar and his indistinct mumbling, on top of solid heavy blues, southern rock. When he really sung his voice is powerful for sure but when he wasn't for some reason it didn't seem really worth the work to figure out. Pecos reminded me of Aaron Seymour, the lead singer of a band called the Delilahs. Playing the Delilahs record his morning I don't see any reason for that. No idea why now other than wistful for the 90s and having a few PBRs.

The band is really good musically and tight. They'll never be on MTV but they'll always sell out theaters like this precisely because they do it the right way - no auto tune, long hair and Marshall amps - WYSIWYG. They have kind of a formula for their songs and they'll need to grow to make a bigger leap.

Their opening band, called Joint Custody, from Tyler, TX. Now I really liked these guys. They didn't have a ton of originals yet but the ones they do have are interesting and show some variety. Didn't hurt when they covered Collective Soul, which is gonna hook me without a doubt. These guys made my $12 investment in the evening very well spent.

To loop back ironically, their cover of "Landslide" (see earlier post) was pretty dang good. Their bass player sung it and, sure, not many people have the range of Stevie Nicks but he did great to make his own in a high key without it sounding strained.

They're opening for the Read Southall Band at the Aggie in Ft Collins and the Oriental in Denver in late August. Those should be good shows!

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Grand Junction's GenX geriatric underbelly scene, wake up from your naps! Hope you have your scooter chairs charged and ready for the Verve Pipe tonight.

Last edited:

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member

Been on an early R&B/rock&roll kick again lately. Otis Spann was a boogie woogie piano dude, this tune is from 1954. BUT … that’s a young BB King ripping some absolute fire solos. The 2nd guitar player is Jody Williams, a killer rhythm player who came out of big band/jazz. I keep playing this track over and over. It’s at this perfect place in time when big band was dying and rock was being born - you can hear these guys messing around with their influences and creating an entirely new form of music. Really cool!