• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Friday afternoon music

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Who remembers this?
90's Hip Hop is the best Hip Hop

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru

Cracker
"Teen Angst (What The World Needs Now)"
Cracker (1992)

David Lowery has always been interesting to me. Earned a BS in math from UC-Santa Cruz, was a derivatives trader, teaches at the Univ. of Georgia. I bet he would be a fun guy to put down a case of beer and, oh I dunno, go bowling with.

Interesting the description on this video "Music video by Cracker performing Teen Angst (What The World Needs Now) (Live at the Ogden Theatre, Denver CO.)."

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Don’t know if this has been posted yet, but pretty funny/awesome:

simps80

Rising Sun Member
interesting, as the comments say, to see a glimpse into an iconic song like this, when it wasn't an iconic song, it wasn't even a recorded song, just the straw man rough cut idea in Reggie's head about a song Bernie wrote about his girlfriend at the time, later wife Maxine Feibelman, actually a seamstress

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
After nearly thirty years I still don't know what the hell this guy is saying but I love this song.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
After nearly thirty years I still don't know what the hell this guy is saying but I love this song.

@Hulk just loves Pearl Jam, so he's got his thoughts I'm sure. ;-) It's an anti-war song about a kid who's lost his brother but the words change all the time and I don't know if there are written down lyrics other than the opening line "Unsealed on a porch, a letter sat" and the chorus of "I don’t know whether I’m the boxer or the bag. I don’t know whether he’s coming home in a box or a bag."

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
@Hulk just loves Pearl Jam, so he's got his thoughts I'm sure. ;-) It's an anti-war song about a kid who's lost his brother but the words change all the time and I don't know if there are written down lyrics other than the opening line "Unsealed on a porch, a letter sat" and the chorus of "I don’t know whether I’m the boxer or the bag. I don’t know whether he’s coming home in a box or a bag."

I understand the underlying message but if you were to just listen to the song for the first time without looking at the lyrics, you can't understand what the hell Eddie Vedder is saying. The guy almost mumbles like Bob Dylan.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I understand the underlying message but if you were to just listen to the song for the first time without looking at the lyrics, you can't understand what the hell Eddie Vedder is saying. The guy almost mumbles like Bob Dylan.
Yeah, I get ya now. He's probably one of the most well known and the song definitely is. But what other (not including a lot of metal and punk anyway) singers do people struggle to understand? Come to mind are Jay Farrar, Neil Young, Kurt Cobain, the Toms Waits and Petty.

The famous one is Jack Ely singing on "Louie Louie" by the Kingsmen.

Read some of these misheard lyrics and see if you can ever hear the correct ones again.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
In light of Ray's post (and other reasons).

"Misunderstood"
Being There (1996)
Wilco

This was recorded for VH1's Hard Rock Live in or around 1997. Apparently Roger McGuinn was also on this episode.

kurtnkegger

Rising Sun Member
Old skool Nazareth....

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
IMG_1939_mid.jpg

Khruangbin
The Universe Smiles Upon You (2015)

Mine's #293 of 2,000 on white 180g wax so probably one of the higher value records I own.

I dig it, there's a hidden track with a locked groove on side B. Not mine, from the Utubes:

OHUZJ100

Favorite album by QotSA. Dave Grohl as a the drummer? Sweeeeet.

Supposedly this is classified as EMO, but i guess this is from before dyed hair, and womens jeans😆

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
I’ll jump in and add a band I’ve been listening to for about a year now.
The War on Drugs

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru

"For What's It Worth"
Buffalo Springfield (1966)
Buffalo Springfield

Steven Still and Neil Young. Yup.

Richie Furay, Bruce Palmer, Dewey Martin.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru

"Generic America"
Homegrown (1997)
Blue Mountain

Just did a trip back to St. Louis and spent a month doing family stuff. The drive, the time back there, same lacking blandness now everywhere, ugh. The talking heads on TV, the stores, everything seems the same. A lot of the unique bars, restaurants and stores back there have closed, especially hard hit last year.

Anyway, not sure if I've ever mentioned Blue Mountain but it's the genius of Cary Hudson, Laurie Stirratt (twin sister of John Stirratt, of Wilco) and a couple of different drummers (it's Frank Croutch on Homegrown). Cary and Laurie were married for a while. Solid alt.country from the heyday. They kept it going until about 10 years ago and officially disbanded in 2013.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
@IoN6's video for some reason reminded me of a Led Zeppelin tribute from the mid 1990s. Tribute albums seemed to be the rage in the '90s and most of them were good for maybe one or two decent songs with a bunch of filler. This album actually has a few and as a whole is pretty good but one standout was the Robert Plant duet with Tori Amos of all people.

It was kind of an open secret that she had a kind of a crush on him but he also was a fan of her and sought to do the duet. It's the only song that included a member of Zeppelin on the tribute and I think is better than the original, which I never really liked a lot and apparently neither did the band since they bumped it originally from Led Zeppelin IV and never played it live.

I know it's not cool for a hip Gen X'er to say but I think she's underrated. Her popular singles don't really do her talent justice, she's got a good voice.

"Down by the Seaside"
Encomium (1995)
Robert Plant and Tori Amos

"Down by the Seaside"
Physical Graffiti
Led Zeppelin

Last edited: