frame rivets

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
can't get at em with a grinder, and quickly backed off on the oxy/acetelyne right about the time i saw flames licking at my fuel filler hose:eek:...what's another way to get rivets out. need to do four, two side rivets i can get with the grinder. probably only really three since one is partially torched away, i should be able to drill it out.

Air chisel is definitely the only other way I can really think of, and probably my last method of choice as well, don't forget the earplugs. Any way to mask off the fuel filler with some sheet metal or some wet (water) rags? A soaking wet towel can soak up a lot of hot and a lot of spark.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Plasma cutter.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Renting a plasma cutter will be cheaper than an air chisel.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Renting a plasma cutter will be cheaper than an air chisel.
Really?

I think I paid around $25 for mine. Anyway, Ige you're welcome to borrow mine as well. And ditto on the ear protection. When I was doing my 4 speed conversion I had to remove a section of body crossmember and the blows were amplified by the body itself. Yikes!

Curious Ige, which rivets on which rig are you trying to remove? If the grinder won't reach, what about a zip wheel (air powered cutoff wheel)?

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
cheaper than BUYING an air chisel is what I had in mind. Words are such a bother... :doh:

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
sawzall....not looking to cut the hanger off...i still need it to be functional:eek:;) and cut off wheel wouldn't have gotten in there either.

pretty sure that i couldn't rent a plasma cutter for the $16 that an air chisel cost. was actually wanting to buy the industrial $80 one, but nobody in town had any decent ones...welcome to denver, the biggest little city in the world. :rolleyes:

awful lot of work for 1 1/2" (no comments from the peanut gallery);)

Attachments

• Copy of DSC03931.JPG
    Copy of DSC03931.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 131
  • Copy of DSC03935.JPG
    Copy of DSC03935.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 126
  • Copy of DSC03939.JPG
    Copy of DSC03939.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 131

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
sawzall....not looking to cut the hanger off...i still need it to be functional:eek:;) and cut off wheel wouldn't have gotten in there either.

I wasn't suggesting cutting the frame in two.....just cut the rivet head off! :rolleyes:

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
I wasn't suggesting cutting the frame in two.....just cut the rivet head off! :rolleyes:

heck, i'm not that talented.

productive day today. got the passenger side done, mounted the socket for the trailer wiring (even with a crappy hole saw), got leds in the light switch and under the dash light, found a crap connector at the water temp sender, then another really crap connection right after that and fixed both of those, pulled the sway bar, cleaned it, and lengthened the links to match the lift, figured out why my choke won't work anymore (apparently a 9" air cleaner won't clear it without a little lift), put in a new (junkyard) hood pull handle, and fixed the crappy oem ground on the front marker lights. dang i'm tired.

Attachments

• plug1.JPG
    plug1.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 117
  • plug2.JPG
    plug2.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 124
  • sway bar link.JPG
    sway bar link.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 120
  • sway bar installed.JPG
    sway bar installed.JPG