• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Fly Fishing and 4x4 - So. Platte and Hackett Gulch

chaos

Rising Sun Member
Is anyone interested in combining a 4x4, overnight camp trip near the So. Platte and Hackett Gulch area? I'm trying to find some areas that are only accessible by 4x4 for fly fishing to keep the amount of fishing pressure to a minimum. It seems to me that this section of the So. Platte would have the least amount of fishing pressure. I'm not comfortable doing the 4x4 part alone, but I am more than comfortable guiding new fly fishermen. So, maybe we can trade. You help me get to the river on the trails, and then I'll help you catch fish.

I don't have a date set yet for it but probably after run-off.

mulebarn

Rising Sun Member
Hey David, I’m down, depending on the dates. Seeing some stock Jeeps (including a Cherokee) do Hackett in this video gives me confidence that we’d be fine as long as we take it slow, discuss lines, and be analytical (this applies to wheeling and fishing!).

-Gino

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
I am on the fence about a overnighter to the Gulches or elsewhere this weekend (Sat-Sun probably) or would be willing to head down some other time soon. I don't fish, but love the trails in the area.

chaos

Rising Sun Member
Hey David, I’m down, depending on the dates. Seeing some stock Jeeps (including a Cherokee) do Hackett in this video gives me confidence that we’d be fine as long as we take it slow, discuss lines, and be analytical (this applies to wheeling and fishing!).

-Gino
Ha! Probably the same video I saw. I ran Hackett with the club and it wasn't too bad but there were several experienced guys that made it all easier.

Telly

Rising Sun Member
I'd be down with this trip. Let me know potential dates after run-off.

Last edited:

chaos

Rising Sun Member
That's great @Telly and @mulebarn, can always hang out and leave @Shuksan. I'll check on flows and see when it will be good to go. Thank you!