• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

FJ60 what T-Stat? hot or cold?

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
I've got what I think is a sticky T-Stat... I understand there are basically two I can choose from: a "cold" one(~180degrees?) and a "hot" one (~190degrees?)

Currently, when running 'normal'...the temp is on the lower1/4 of the gauge.

What's the right one as we head into summer?

thanks!

rover67

Rising Sun Member
i am running a 180 degree t stat in my v8 and have measured the coolant temp with it running normally. the guage is at 1/4 maybe a little lower so i'd guess yo unow have a 180 degree t stat in there.

i'd run a 180 degree t stat all year.. esp. in the summer... that what i ran in my 2f all year long in the south... and it did great.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Shawn,

Don't know which one but do you know what T-stat Toyota recommends? I know just enough to be dangerous on cooling systems but in my readings and experience it is important to get the proper T-stat for the optimum operating temp for the particular engine. Sort of the "sweet spot". I've read a lot of threads back and forth on MUD on the 80 series and people going to a lower temp T-stat to help with cooling issues and the general consensus it to NOT do that as then the engine has a tougher time getting up or even staying at optimal operating temp. I always though cooler was better but guess I was wrong :dunno:

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
Shawn,

Don't know which one but do you know what T-stat Toyota recommends? I know just enough to be dangerous on cooling systems but in my readings and experience it is important to get the proper T-stat for the optimum operating temp for the particular engine. Sort of the "sweet spot". I've read a lot of threads back and forth on MUD on the 80 series and people going to a lower temp T-stat to help with cooling issues and the general consensus it to NOT do that as then the engine has a tougher time getting up or even staying at optimal operating temp. I always though cooler was better but guess I was wrong :dunno:

Yup...that's exactly what I learned from the posts..something about the sweet spot so the motor is running at optimum temp. But then I think...is a 10degree difference that significant? I do believe I've been running the cooler one on just that idea, "cooler must be better"...I think I'm wrong and looking for some additional insight on the whole "sweet spot" thing, especially as we head into summer with lots of high 90's/100+ days.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
But then I think...is a 10degree difference that significant?

It made a difference on my Durango when I ran a lower temp T-stat (180F) compared to OEM stock (190F). Doing so was required to run a JET chip (that I never got around to installing) as part of "tricking" the ECU. The Durango didn't run quite as well with it installed as it did before...Not a huge difference but even I noticed a difference :hill:

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
Given some of the vapor locking and hot soak conditions that can plague carb'd 'cruisers, I'd use a 180. The last thing you need at higher elevations with a carb'd vehicle is more underhood heat. I believe the stock t-stat is 182 (or whatever the centigrade equiv. is).

A higher temp t-stat might be useful for helping it to pass emissions, but for summer use, 180 is plenty. A 10 degree swing isn't that big a deal - there's a bigger difference in using, say, a 160 degree t-stat and a 200 degree t-stat.

Steve

powderpig

Hard Core 4+
Where are you getting the T-stat?
If you are getting it from Dan or from Kurt, they should be able to give you the right one. I would use a 180 if it was me, I believe that the right one for our climate is a 180(w/2f), but would look in the FSM for sure. If you were in Canada or Alaska, I think I would like a 190 for the winter.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
yeah, i ran a 180 (in my 2f) that i got from napa, it worked fine. drove it like that for thousands of miles in 100+ degree weather down in Memphis... no vapor lock or any other kind of heat soak (and my carb fan never worked) I think it actually had a "84" stamped on it which actually translates to ~183 degrees F. I have run cooler than that (a 74 degree C thermostat) in both the cruiser and many other cars and it was not good... oil never really got hot enough and neither did the motor. like Steve says... hotter t stats have been used in later model cars to help with emissions, and like Jeff said they are tuned to run at that higher temp.. but the older motors (generally speaking) run fine at 180 and you aren't really over stressing the colling system/head gasket. If yo uwant more heat, go higher though.

but... i did run the old 2f motor on a run back from st. louis to memphis with the temp guage pegged (actual reading was like 230-240) and it never really seemed to care. (yep, i had a death wish..) it just smoked more.

just go get a 180 from napa and call it a day. need a new radiator? i have an extra brand new one. cheap. just needs some minor TLC due to some shipping damage.

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
perfect!

I've been running the cooler one, and everthing is running quite well. Thanks for the insight everyone, and the :cool: one is what I'll be getting.

:cheers:

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Stock for a 2F is 180°F, for an F is 170°F. I would not deviate from that. And, I would buy it (as I have in the past) from our esteemed host, Stevinson.