Wanted FJ60 Tachometer

Looking to find and/or buy something? Add this prefix to your thread.

mikedrom

Rising Sun Member
Trying to fix my sticking tachometer proved to be more difficult than I thought. I tried lubricating it, and when that didn’t work, I got the bright idea to try and take it apart to inspect/clean further. That brings us here…
image.jpg

Anyone have a spare tach for sale? 1982 Land Cruiser.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Yikes! That looks pretty buggered up. Mine sticks when it is below about 50°F, but works fine when it is warm. Now that I see what's involved I think I'll just live with it.

mikedrom

Rising Sun Member
Yikes! That looks pretty buggered up. Mine sticks when it is below about 50°F, but works fine when it is warm. Now that I see what's involved I think I'll just live with it.
I think that with a little more patience in removing the needle, I could’ve managed to get it done. Or not, I’m not sure. The stem that holds the tach needle is very tiny and that needle is on there really tight (at least in my case)

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member

mikedrom

Rising Sun Member
I got one…

View attachment 127111

The oil pressure doesn’t work but as I recall everything else does. $100?

Sounds good! Will you be at the meeting? We can exchange there if you’ll be there.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Sounds good! Will you be at the meeting? We can exchange there if you’ll be there.
Sure can do. or let me know if you want it sooner.

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
Is a jumpy SPEDO on a 60 a poorly lubed cable or a sign it is on its way out? Mine was a little jumpy when cold.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Is a jumpy tach on a 60 a poorly lubed cable or a sign it is on its way out? Mine was a little jumpy when cold.
The tach doesn't have a cable like the old speedo. It's driven from a signal taken from a sender or from the distributor or the ECU. Not sure in an FJ60 how they did it.

But regardless it's a pulse or sine wave that's periodic. The needle on the tach is a small motor that swings proportional to the signal frequency.

If it's jumping it could be the needle pivot or bearing is fouled or electrical in the driving circuit. There's a spring in there that pulls the needle back to zero, which could be broken, too.

FWIW, speedometers since the mid 1990s are also electronic and work more or less the same way. Imelda was the last year of a mechanical cable on mini trucks. In 1992 the speedo went electronic in them.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
When the speedo on my '71 was jumpy, it was the innards, but it actually broke a couple cables before I wised up as to the root cause. I took it apart (very carefully), cleaned and lubed all the little gears and moving parts and put it back together and that fixed it. That was prolly ~80k ago.