• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

FJ25 friends

Ravenr23

Rock Stacker
Seeing if this is a good place to meet fj people in Colorado. Looking for some help on my fj and people to chat about them.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Hello @Ravenr23. If you are serious about being a part of this community, you'll need to post more details about yourself. You have an FJ Cruiser or an FJ40 or _____? Who are you and what is your experience? We welcome new folks here, but you'll need to put in some effort to get engagement from the club.

Ravenr23

Rock Stacker
O right. I own a fj25L hardtop with 49 miles on it. It's in the shop trying to get brakes redone.
Was my grandfather fj he got new when they first came to Colorado. Been up in Estes park all these years as only a snow plow and never left the property.

Hoping to see if there are other 25 owners here and 40s.
Rebuild the intake and it just fixing everything. Hoping to do a full restoration

Ravenr23

Rock Stacker
I'm working the doors now. I go everything I'm just redoing it

Attachments

• 20210801_123716.jpg
    20210801_123716.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 159

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
This is the right place. We have Toyotas of all types. And we do a yearly FJ40/25/45 run
DSC03905.JPG

kurtnkegger

Rising Sun Member
I'm no expert, but you might have a special case converting because you probably have the ball and claw knuckle...I'm not sure what you would have to swap out for that. 25's are special, and I don't know if I would start to modify if everything is already there...survivors are rare indeed.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Its always a feeling to keep things stock. However, this is your FJ and if you want to do a conversion, you should do what you want since it is your vehicle. The only reason I am posting is I don't want you as a new person to our site take the above comments other than meant as a suggestion. If you have decided to do a conversion, then don't feel bashful about posting up

It comes down to what you want to do with your truck

I did a Disk conversion on my 73, a V8 swap, changed out the tank, Fuel Injection, 5 Speed tranny and more. I had folks telling me I should leave it stock, but it came down to what I wanted to do with it

Surely a stock refurbished FJ25 may be worth more for resale, but it comes down to your priorities

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Rob Meredith is your guy, if you can get in touch. Also Mike D. (@treerootCO) has an FJ25 and Ige (@nuclearlemon) had Annie the 1962 FJ40 and would be great resources to know.

Regards disc brakes, I think having ball-and-claw would require finding an axle from a later FJ40 to swap first.

cm99cover-jpg.jpg

Last edited:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Um, an FJ25 is always awesome! As mentioned, @treerootCO and @nuclearlemon are good resources, as is this general forum on the IH8MUD website:

There is so much unique to the FJ25 that it's hard to give a formula to do things like put on power steering or disc brakes. I'm not even sure you could *just* swap over an FJ40 axle - I'm not sure the steering linkage is compatible, or whether the diff gear ratio is the same, driveshaft bolt pattern, brake lines, etc. etc. you would have to research all that.

If you want those things, and aren't accustomed to custom fabrication, it would probably be better to get an FJ40 from sometime in the 70s. A lot more crossover of parts and a lot more familiar working platform for shops that offer those types of conversions.

Ravenr23

Rock Stacker
I would love to redo the all ready brake system. I just need seals. Anything made of rubber is hald gone.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
@Ravenr23 As others have mentioned, you have a extremely rare and awesome truck. The family history is AMAZING, Restoration would be amazing. I also feel that a 25 should be modified as little as possible, but some things make sense for driveabiliy and safety,

People to talk to:
Kurt Williams (801) 563-1277 http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/ @cruiseroutfit
Ige @nuclearlemon
Mike @treerootCO

And if you want a top of the line restoration, https://www.resurrectionlandcruisers.com/. Tell Jeremiah you heard it here from me.

Ravenr23

Rock Stacker
I would love to keep it as is. The vehicles all original with matching numbers. It's just finding parts. I cant fix something if I dont have the parts. Right now it's in Estes park and I cant move it because of the brakes. Been doing other maintenance on it in the meantime but yeah it sucks

subzali

Hard Core 4+
That thing is so cool.

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
The Toyopet-logo radio is just too cool.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I still love these FJ25 photos from back in the day
001.jpg

002.jpg