fixing a flat on XR70...how difficult?

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
The string of issues with the xr70 continues (messed with the carb like 4 times)...and now...the rear has a flat-it won't take any air at all.

I've changed bicycle tubes a million times...but this seems like that x100. is this a doable DIY or should I just take it somewhere?

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
Super easy you need three nice size tire irons. If you look on you tube there's lots of how to change dirt bike tires. Once I figured it out I change all my own tires.

60wag

Rising Sun Member
Its harder than a bicycle tire but def' worth learning how to do it yourself. It feels like you'll rip the tire bead but it works. The more you do it, the easier it gets.

baja1d

Hard Core 4+
Simple green works great to slip the beads on & off the rim. Check the old tube for a puncture or a pinch. A pinch is no biggy but with a puncture I'd recommend checking the tire carefully. I once changed a front tube three times before I discovered a small piece of metal hidden in one of the lugs. BTW, it was only discovered by rolling the unmounted tire on the ground with enough psi to oval the tire & visualize the inside of the rubber

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I'm just learning with motorcycles but with bicycle flats, at least back when we still used tubes, you learned to run your fingers inside the tire after pulling out the tube to check for whatever caused the pinhole.

Around here goatheads and cactus needles stick into the tire and break off as you roll down the trail so you never see it but you feel this sharp point inside the tire. Just FYI look first because a piece of glass or metal will let quite a bit of blood...

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
I'm with Jeremy. Invest in 2-3 motorcycle tire irons that are 12-18" long. They will be handy when you take on the big tires on your KTM, and will also work well on the little tires. I use windex for my lubrication, and usually use a spare land cruiser rim/tire as my "table" for breaking the bead and pulling the tire.

Cocarlisle

Hard Core 4+
Smaller tires are much harder than a normal 21 inch 19 or 18 inch

Lots of soap and water and at least three tire irons (long)
A bead buddy helps as well as a second person
Make sure the opposite side you are working on is pulled down to the middle of the inside rim

use baby powder around the tube to keep it from getting pinched as easy
Fill up the tire with air once you get it on bounce it a bit then let the air out and refill to get any kinks in the tube out

He is using a foam tube but .........
Crazy fast

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0ksZQ5YC5gs