Fire extinguishing systems

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Does anyone have a les expensive Halon equivalent to this? I would use a standard dry chemical model, but after dealing with a vehicle fire in late '07 I would prefer to have less mess if I have another issue. Anyone using Halon in RS?

powderpig

Hard Core 4+
Jeff, I looked also for the Trail team at one time to have good extinguishers on board for the tour, and could not find a much better deal. I think the best I came up with was close to 85 then shipping on top of this. I currently have the a/b auto ones that will not hurt the paint and such in my truck(I think Kidde models)I can look and post up the model for you. It is messy I am sure, but no hurting the wiring and paint.
Halon is gone, it did not meet some current safety requirements that Is why you many not find the older Halon systems.

Hants

Rising Sun Member
Check out Halotron. It is a Halon-replacement charge. They're a/b/c, evaporates (no cleanup), non-conducting, and non-etching.

I've got one in each of my cars... haven't ever had to use them, so no hands-on experience.

Hants

Rising Sun Member
Halon is gone, it did not meet some current safety requirements that Is why you many not find the older Halon systems.

Halon was one of the big ozone depleters... it was phased out a decade or more ago and is essentially no longer available.

leiniesred

Hard Core 4+
Spruce Aircraft supply. That is where my Dad and I get this kind of stuff for his racecar and my truck. We haven't needed to hit the button yet.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/h3rhalon.php
Mixture of 1301 and 1211. 12 year shelf life. $99 for the little one. (hey it's $2 less?!)

Spruce sells lots of cool hardware like Dzus fasteners and weird aeroquip fittings too.
In addition, you get some options in the canister size, mounting options, stickers, complete 1 button systems, etc.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
I use Halon. My extinguishers get serviced yearly.

Haven't had to do it here yet, but in Memphis the extinguisher place would service and fill halon extinguishers.. it just had to be with "recycled" halon because it can't be manufactured anymore. Last time they did mine they sucked out the Halon, checked the bottle, and refilled it. It is a bit more expensive since it is recycled, but end result is the same.

I don't like using pegasus, but heres a link FYI: http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group.asp?GroupID=FIRESYSHALON

I am sure there are better options now (as mentioned above) but i am stubborn to change. perhaps i should think more about the grass i am walking on.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Last edited: