Film - Manual settings - Medium Format

DanInDenver

Trail Ready
Thought I would open a discussion on using manual, medium format or 35mm, film cameras. I always enjoyed simple photography and like golf always in search of that perfect shot. Its an interest and passion I share with my daughter and grateful to club members who have encouraged her interest. I recently picked up a Mamiya RZ67 Pro ii. It has the standard 110 lens, also came with a 50 ULD lens. My hope is to capture the incredible eye candy I see throughout the west. I'm way over my ski's, but I was when I repacked bearings and did a brake job based on Mud postings, so what the hell.

If others are experienced or have caught the bug post up here. Ill gladly fund film and processing in exchange for knowledge transfer.

Might be fun to do a run based on locations for potential great photos. So a lot of stopping and composing. Sharing of settings and framing.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I still run film, never joined the digital revolution so snapshots with the same old Nikon FM3a I've had for years. This with a Zenitar 16mm full frame fisheye from the back door of our Loveland house before I started packing it up to move.

2018-12-12-0005_mid.jpg

I also have old rangefinders, this snapped with an Olympus XA on the solo White Rim exploration last month.

2018-12-12-0015_mid.jpg

Both on Provia 100F.

Last edited:

benjrblant

Trail Ready
I originally went to college for photography. Always enjoyed medium format. The Mamiya is a fantastic platform. I've stuck with a hasselblad 500c/m.

kurtnkegger

Rising Sun Member
I own a Hasselblad that I haven’t touched for 25 years...my advice to you is get a decent light meter...learn to use it, and shoot from there. Medium format is something you can take your time composing your shot, unless you’re in a studio...

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
Might be fun to do a run based on locations for potential great photos. So a lot of stopping and composing. Sharing of settings and framing.

That would definitely be a cool idea for run!

DanInDenver

Trail Ready
Had my first roll developed. Damn heavy to carry around in a backpack plus tripod this past week in SF, will see what comes of those rolls.

Two of my favorites from the Ektar 100 roll.
First is 50mm lens f11 1/250
Second is 110mm lens f2.8 1.5 secs

Attachments

• 03090008.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 219
  • 03090003 (3).JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 223

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Cool shots! I have always wanted to try shooting medium format, but I think I will wait for retirement.

DanInDenver

Trail Ready
Tried out some B&W film. My daughter took the Golden Gate Bridge photo. All are basic scans.
06260001.JPG
06260003.JPG
06260010.JPG