• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Fiberglass Q&A

subzali

Hard Core 4+
So what is the preferred method to removing paint from fiberglass, as in paint on the outside of the fiberglass hardtop? :D

Also what is the preferred method to remove glue, torn out headliner etc. on the inside of say, the fiberglass hardtop? :D

I'm supposing once it's clean then I can work on repairing the fiberglass with my dad's help, but I don't really know what I need to do to get it clean in the first place. I understand a respirator is a key piece of equipment... :eek:

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
subzali said:
So what is the preferred method to removing paint from fiberglass, as in paint on the outside of the fiberglass hardtop? :D

Also what is the preferred method to remove glue, torn out headliner etc. on the inside of say, the fiberglass hardtop? :D

I'm supposing once it's clean then I can work on repairing the fiberglass with my dad's help, but I don't really know what I need to do to get it clean in the first place. I understand a respirator is a key piece of equipment... :eek:

There are strippers available that are resin (fiberglass) safe. Same goes for the glue. Try to determine what base the glue is and use that base (solvent) to soften the glue. You DO NOT want any strippers or solvents that contain acitone or other plastic solvents! The catalist for fiberglass (polyester) resin is MEKP (gonna butcher this but....methyl ethylene keytone peroxide) (nasty stuff!) Check active ingrediants and make sure neither acitone or MEK(P) is not present. Others here that are more chemical trained can tell you what other chems to avoid